[SOLVED] MSI B550 Gaming Edge shows VGA LED error ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2022
Hello there, since Yesterday i am getting this error with the VGA led on the motherboard lighting and getting a black screen with no POST ?

My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Edge

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X

RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V CL16 3200Mhz 8x4

GPU: AMD RX 6700XT

PSU: Seasonic PX-850

Well this is what i tried:
  • Flashing the latest BIOS with the flash bios button.
  • Put the GPU in the second PCI-E slot
  • Remove all the NVMEs
  • Use Different PSU PCI-E cables
  • Remove the Motherboard battery
  • Clean with compressed air the PCI-E slot 7. Used an old HD5750 GPU on both PCI-E slots

No luck with what a tried. Does anyone has any clue about this Problem?

Thank you and i am sorry for my english.

Solution
If it was the CPU or RAM then the CPU or RAM debug led would light, right?

If MoBo works as it's supposed to, yes. However, those debug LEDs doesn't say that the component (CPU or RAM or GPU) itself is faulty. What it shows, is that MoBo is unable to connect to the hardware and it can be MoBo issue as well.

So, MoBo replacement would be next step.
Apr 13, 2022
Looks like a dead GPU.

Try with 2nd, known to work GPU and look if you get an image. If you do, your GPU is toast. If you don't, then something else is toast (could be CPU, MoBo and/or RAM).

I used a 2nd known to work GPU and it did not work.
I used every one of the four RAM sticks and still got the VGA Problem.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

If MoBo works as it's supposed to, yes. However, those debug LEDs doesn't say that the component (CPU or RAM or GPU) itself is faulty. What it shows, is that MoBo is unable to connect to the hardware and it can be MoBo issue as well.

Solution
Apr 13, 2022

I will replace the Motherboard and i am gonna update this post.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Use Different PSU PCI-E cables

This is terrible thing to do, since pinout on PSU side is different and you can very well fry the GPU with this. And perhaps PSU too.

I used another CPU, RAM and PSU.

And i still get VGA error.

When you switched PSU, did you use the original cables that came with 2nd PSU, or you used what was already in the system, original PSU's cables?

Also, do you have 2nd working PC, where to plug AMD RX 6700XT in, to see if the GPU works?

Apr 13, 2022
This is terrible thing to do, since pinout on PSU side is different and you can very well fry the GPU with this. And perhaps PSU too.

When you switched PSU, did you use the original cables that came with 2nd PSU, or you used what was already in the system, original PSU's cables?

Also, do you have 2nd working PC, where to plug AMD RX 6700XT in, to see if the GPU works?

I used the cables that came with the second PSU.

But today i bought a modern GPU (3070 Ti).

And suddenly everything works.

I think the HD5750 was old and my motherboard did not support any PCI-E 2.0. I thought it would be backwards compatible.

Well my RX6700XT is broken. I just dont know how.

Thank you both for you help and especialy you Aeacus.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But today i bought a modern GPU (3070 Ti).

And suddenly everything works.

Glad to hear that you got your issue solved. :)

I think the HD5750 was old and my motherboard did not support any PCI-E 2.0. I thought it would be backwards compatible.
PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0. That is when the old HD5750 actually works. But my guess would be, that it too had died (of old age). Hence why it doesn't work.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For now im gonna rma the gpu and see if i gonna get a new one, because i voided the warranty when i watercooled it.

If you have voided the warranty, you can't RMA your GPU. Since that requires a valid warranty.

Now, you may be able to pay for manufacturer's repair (i've seen it offered sometimes), but for the most part, people aren't keen on paying for the repairs.

Reactions: TrixXxAs
Status
Not open for further replies.