Question MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi - LED on for CPU Ez Debug - Tried everything I could scour across many platforms.

Aug 12, 2024
Hello, I am not sure whether I am in the right place or not for this question. But I was reading another issue similar to mine on this forum and tried the fixes recommended and it didn't work. This issue occurred strangely enough after I had switched cases for my pc. I built my own pc by ordering parts online and assembled a PC about 5 years ago. I constantly upgraded the thing to what it is now, just never the case. So 4-ish days ago my new pc case arrived (AQUA 3 Mini-Tower Case), and I got to it. I unplugged everything, unscrewed the mobo, kept the cpu and fan still installed but removed the GPU. Moved the mobo over to my new case and screwed it in. Plugged in the case wires, and screwed in my HDD to the bottom. Connected everything up the PSU and went to test it out. I turned it on and all the fans light up to my delight. GPU, CPU, Case fans, all were on. I could even hear my HDD turn on. But, no display... and I noticed that the light was on next to my CPU for ez debug on the mobo.

Things I tried:

Removing and re-inserting the CPU. The pins are untouched, wiped down with isopropyl alcohol, and the socket has no bent pins as well. There is no thermal paste in the way and the thermal paste I was using wasn't conductive.

Taking the little battery out for over 5 minutes for the BIOS settings to reset.

Tried flashing bios on a flash drive and it went through but no display after and issue was the same. Yes I did it with no CPU in, no RAM in, no cables from the case in, no sata cable in, no ram or GPU. Simply put, it was the mobo, flash drive, 24 pin, and 8 pin for CPU. I was sure I did it right because I watched Mike's Unboxing youtube video showing how to do it for the exact motherHDboard.

Tried booting with just the cpu and a ram stick in (in the 2 slot).

All of these attempts resulted in white led CPU ez debug.

I am convinced something shorted, since I did not take the cpu out for the original transfer and do not know how to test out if either are broken since I do not have a spare for the mobo or the cpu. I don't think the mobo is shorted because there are other components turning on through the mobo, but I am not sure this is how it works.

Idk what this looks like to you guys, but I am running out of options and don't know the next step of approach.

My specs:
GPU ----- 1660 Super 3 Fan Gigabyte
CPU ----- Ryzen 5 5600
MOBO -- MSI B550M Pro VDH - WIFI
SSD ----- Samsung 500GB Internal PCIe (Boot drive is located here)
HDD ---- Some Barracuda 1TB thing from 2019
RAM ---- Corsair 4x8gb Vengeance DDR4 3600Mhz
PSU ----- 850W Gold 90

Sad about this, Should I give it a shot to move whole pc back into old case? Is it even worth it at this point, since I tried to boot pc without even being in a case and it gave me cpu ez debug?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Since you mentioned flashing the BIOS, assuming you followed through the procedure without an issue...did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed?

In order to rule out the board/processor, you take the processor and drop it onto a known working motherboard(with the right BIOS version), likewise drop a known working processor onto your motherboard and see if that changes your predicament.

If you think your platform is being shorted after the case swap, breadboard the innards and see if that changes your predicament.