Question MSI b650 Tomahawk not booting led stuck on cpu and dram

Dec 21, 2023
Hello all, I built my pc a couple weeks ago and it’s been running fine, I was playing games last night on it too but when I go to turn it on today morning it doesn’t boot up the led light on the motherboard is on in cpu and dram spot. It just happend I’m not sure what’s going on.

My parts are
-msi mag b650 tomahawk wifi
-7 7800x3d
-wd sn850x 1tb
-gigabyte gaming of 4070ti
-g skill trident z5 neo 32gb

So far I’ve only tried resetting cmos and it didn’t change anything still doesn’t start.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A couple things to try.

First, disconnect the power cable from the PSU (the one going to an outlet) and press the power button to discharge the residual power in the system. This is a sort of PSU reset mechanism. Reconnect power and try powering on.

Second, remove the GPU from the system and try booting system with the integrated GPU.

Intent is to isolate the issue.

Dec 21, 2023
A couple things to try.

First, disconnect the power cable from the PSU (the one going to an outlet) and press the power button to discharge the residual power in the system. This is a sort of PSU reset mechanism. Reconnect power and try powering on.

Second, remove the GPU from the system and try booting system with the integrated GPU.

I just tried both methods and still nothing seems to make it boot

Dec 21, 2023
A couple things to try.

I removed 1 ram and just left 1 stick in A2 module and it turned on, I’m not sure what this means is my ram messed up? Cuz with one ram it booted up fine

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This could be a couple different things:

- Memory not fully seated in the slots
- CPU has bent/missing pins or not seated properly in socket
- Defective memory (swapping into working slot can isolate quickly).

Mar 3, 2024
After hours of struggling with the same issue, I finally found a solution that worked for me. I had 2x16GB 6000MHz RAM and decided to upgrade. So, I went to Microcenter and bought the same set of RAM sticks.

However, once I plugged them in, the system wouldn't boot. I tried a BIOS flashback, but it didn't resolve the issue. After extensive research online, I discovered that the RAM speed was the problem. I have an AMD 7800-X3D processor and found that it doesn't perform the same when all 4 RAM slots are filled. The maximum speed you can run your RAM at is 3600MHz. This YouTube video was a great help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kX4kGi77KA&t=189s&ab_channel=ErockOnTech

Here's how I fixed it:

Turn off the power and disconnect the PSU.
Remove all the RAM sticks.
Disconnect the graphics card (if it is blocking the CMOS).
Remove the CMOS battery.
Use a jumper to reset the CMOS.
Download the latest BIOS from the motherboard's website (from a different computer).
Reinsert the CMOS battery into the motherboard.
Plug in the PSU and turn on the power.
Use USB flashback to flash the latest software onto the motherboard.
Once done, turn off all the power and disconnect the PSU.
Reconnect all the RAM and the graphics card.
Boot up and enter the BIOS settings.
Ensure that the RAM speed is set to no more than 3600MHz.

Hope this helps :)

TRENDING THREADS