MSI BIOS Updates Address Cryptocurrency Mining Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaydin1

Prominent
May 26, 2017
I doubt anyone will be following MSI, it's more likely that MSI is late to the game. Above 4G Decoding has been an option in 2 of my Asus motherboards (z-170 and x370) for several months now.

Chrysanthemum

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
???cryptocurrency????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????...

Chrysanthemum

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
?????????????????????????????cryptocurrency???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????AMD??????????????????????????????????????????????...

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Really? I have two Asus Z170 boards right now that only support 4 GPUs and I'm talking to Asus support in part because of this issue. Their tech support just stopped that part of my issue with "This board only supports 4 GPUs" and won't give me any word whether they have any plans to update their BIOSs to support it.

This announcement sounds like MSI will be issuing BIOS updates to ALL their boards to support more than 4 GPUs. Sounds more customer focused than Asus at the moment. Right now mining is pushing ridiculous amounts of sales to certain companies. The BIOS tweak is likely very minor. What manufacturer shouldn't be catering to their customers?

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
...and ummm...ok, Chrysanthemum. That was an interesting rant. Cryptocurrency = Islamic terrorism. Or, foreigners deserve terrorist attacks because people buy computer for purposes you don't approve of? I also can't tell if you're trying to incite terrorist attacks on people who buy video cards not intending to use them for gaming? Grow up.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
4G has been available on all motherboards for a long time, but that does not automatically let them support 6 graphics cards. This is an added option WITH the 4G options already in the BIOS

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
mac_angel, that doesn't sound like what this article is saying at all. My current Asus Z170's exhibit the behavior in the article. Cards come up, but they have yellow exclamation marks. This particular 4G option is new and most definitely *NOT* available on all motherboards. I've put together dozens of computers over the years and I don't remember ever seeing any "4G" options until recently. What advantage does this option have other than allowing more than 4 GPUs to have enough resources to work that would have made it's inclusion necessary?

Photonboy, look at how many financial institutions are getting involved in cryptocurrency. I've recently read articles about JP Morgan using ZCash blockchain technology and Fidelity Investments getting into mining/trading. There are financial traders that love getting involved with buying high/selling low that inject money to get their stake going. I could go on an on, but a lot of people are injecting real money (depending on how real you feel government backed fiat money is) into these systems.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
AMD-based miners have gotten around this issue by combining two specific Radeon driver packages and using a patcher to enable the 5th and 6th card. Works on non-BTC-specific mobos. It won't save you if the motherboard is mechanically designed to shut off PCIe slots depending on configuration though (as some are).

Status
Not open for further replies.