MSI Boasts New GT80 Titan 'World's First' Gaming Laptop With Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisfyfe

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I wonder how the screen is affected by this keyboard difference. Amongst most laptops, the residue on the keyboard will transfer to the screen when closed and this is with relatively flat keys. Apple and Razer, two companies that produce a pretty solid laptop, have the residue problem. It's also very possible that I'm the only person in the world that has a pet peeve regarding a clean monitor screen.

ATL_Tech_Guy

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Maybe we can get a version with an 18" 900P panel and semi-pro audio (subwoofers) ? I'd love to replace this old Dell Latitude XPS17 (since there's nothing made since that compares).

dovah-chan

Honorable
Very odd how the keyboard is somewhat recessed into the chassis. I'd always thought that the first mechanical keyboard I'd ever see on a laptop would be using micromechanical switches but I guess MSI didn't want to compromise. To me this seems to be targeted towards the niche folk who really need serious desktop replacements. Great to have on the market and it will win them over some buyers for sure if other companies don't step up to the plate. I'd say Asus (ROG) is up next and then maybe Auros (Gigabyte) and finally Razer will be the people to try to utilize micromechanical switches most likely. (since I believe the Naga 2014 already uses a type of micromechanical switches already so it's not out of the question)

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
1) Laptop and games don't mix
2) no way in heck would i be carrying a noisy clacky keyboard anywhere
3) the only reason mechanical keyboards are useful isn't because they clack clack, that's what their big con was, it's because the IBM versions from the 80s and early 90s lasted decades (literally)

Because0789

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
@a1r
1)Laptops and games don't mix for SOME people
2) If you read the article you'd know that the switches are Brown and therefore with tactile but no audible feedback.
3) They give you better feedback on whether you have pressed the key and are harder to accidentally press. As for noise, refer to #2

mr grim

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Would be good if it had a couple of actuators to raise the keyboard up when you open the lid, not to mention it would look cool, I could imagine having them recessed like that would be pretty uncomfortable.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
This is the second article in less than 5 in which a1r spreads his (uneducated) opinion as fact. Is this the new troller? Mechanical has a much better feel than membrane and anyone who has used one knows this.

Although I have loved MSI very much, great comfort and power. But this laptop has just ruined it all. I would never ever game with a laptop with a built in mechanical keyboard. I might as well just get a lousy Razer Key Switch keyboard. I really have never seen the worst keyboard in a long time...other than Razer's. ;)

Let's hope it is not heavy than a desktop with that size of laptop and mechanical switches in there. :D

Why MSI? You could have at least improved the design!! I still have hope, maybe 6 more months or I will just go with the Asus ROG.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Wow the big compromises were made... laptop with mechanical... travel is only 27 mm... not usual 4mm
I'd actually love it as standalone wanted to see low profile mechanical for some time. Shipping keyboard with browns is a good move but we are spoiled and used to choice in that segment. unless the caps are silenced they will still be louder than usual as the membranes and scissors are cushioned by design.

I don't get that blues are considered oh so loud? while they are not... they just click and it's much more saddle than a regular mouse click I guess some people may be easily annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.