MSI, Corsair Partner Up To Create GeForce GTX 980 Ti Sea Hawk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaronfitz

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
ive read a few comments saying that these are going to be loud. nononono. quite the contrary. i have a gigabyte reference 980 and added on the evga hybrid cooler. (it fits) its the most silent running card possible. you literally cant hear the pump at all except for the first 10 seconds you fire it up for the FIRST time. both of these cards are going to be awesome. the clocks on the msi and corsair cards are just barely higher than the clocks on the EVGA 980TI hybrids, but thats literally just someones choice in the way its set up as opposed to which hardware is better. i think its exciting that the very best cooling company is releasing their first gpu and it happens to be arguably the best gpu out there right now. <3 corsair

I find it hard to believe thermals are preventing them from doing this when there is a R9 295X2 with a 120mm radiator

http://www.asetek.com/customers/do-it-yourself/amd/amd-radeon-r9-295x2/

A 240 radiator is not really needed for normal cooling unless the end user is overclocking.

Sure, they didn't need to, but it probably gives better temps than having the rad cool everything on its own.

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

You sure you're not working for Corsair :D

You've guessed it right, that's exactly what it is.

unlike the evga hybrid that you can see the wires for the fan?? with this msi , is it under the hose wrap or something ??
I alos thought corsair was used with the evga's card but now I wonder ?? it all looks the same except for the pump base where msi is flat and evga is stepped ??

I also would liie to see a head to head review between these 2 hybrid cards to see if the cooling and clock rates differences if any

guy aid above about the hoses - I assume like everything it lasts or it don't these cooling units been around for some time and you don't see any if any complaints on that '' hoses getting brittle and cracking, leaking or rubber gaskets shriveling ''
then if so I expect a proper time frame at least warrantee period on that and all looks easily serviceable ,..
its not like air cooled is life time - I see more guys looking for replacement fans then I do serviceing these water coolers [opinion]

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

We just hid the fan cable during photo shoot, so we know its there. We'd like for you guys to have the option of using a fan you prefer.

I believe they're both using low profile pump blocks from what I can see in the photos online.

Yup, EVGA's hybrid would be the direct competition, so we are expecting reviews that will have side by side comparison.

where you guys missed the boat is when evga was having production issues with there's and could not keep a stock of them when they were in real high demand .. that kinda smoothed over now and seems readily in stock..

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

I feel like Corsair isn't here to pick up scraps. They set the bar in quality on most things and let the product speak for itself. Nothing at EVGA or anything, I like them too. But as a customer, if I really wanted something, I'm willing to wait for it. I think other folks would be too.

Pretty much this. While Corsair does have a few products that are not as high quality they do have some top end products that are worth the wait. The K95 RGB is an amazing keyboard, their RAM is always top notch and their digital PSUsz are great.

I almost never buy a stock GPU and always wait for Sapphire or Asus to drop their superior after market ones. Now it looks like I might also be waiting for Corsair to.

I don't know I guess it comes down to whos got what sale price overall when time to buy ? I seen that evga offers a free shroud upgrade for theres for what ever it does for you or it ? may also become the new standard shroud on a revised card ???

I had/have good products from msi and evga so for me its down to 1/2 of one is as good as the other.. [evga's now $709 at egg free shipping ] I still feel with evga is something were to go wrong with the card they would be easier to deal with and more straight forward ? I had a many year old 8800 [7 years] that died with a life time warrantee and they took it back and replaced it with a newer equal card ??

thing is regardless what brand if it something I feel I want to try and use I get it it will work as expected or it don't . that's with any brand

Status
Not open for further replies.