MSI Crafts Its First Compact Gaming PC: The Vortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
The mobile GPUs are more efficient without much of any performance loss? would be nice to have this chipset in a desktop card for 'eco' minded users.
I have a feeling it'll all the be the same soon. Desktop GPUs with lower in voltage down close to mobile leves because it's possible now, somehow.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
I have this feeling that you can build your own ITX system with the same performance with replaceable/upgradeable components for half the price

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

Yep, but then it wont look like a trash can.

+ tbh it might be harder to do then you think since normally 980 is kinda big and their version might be even smaller than MXM mobile card.
This is btw the first (to my knowledge) product to feature 980 "mobile" in SLI configuration, all laptops that supports this card, to date, had option of either 980m sli or single 980 "mobile", never 980 "mobile" in sli.

Also, dont forget that while the 980 "mobile" is almost as fast as the desktop 980, the 980ti is way faster, maybe all they did was to slow down(thus cool) a 980ti, put it in mobile format and call it progress....

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
An excellent bin of an overclocked 970 is almost as fast as a 980. IIRC, a 980m performs slightly below a 970, so 2 in SLI should at least be around a single 980Ti performance

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

There is a review up for 980 "desktop" flavor of mobile chip in SLI configuration (tested in the new MSI GT80 laptop):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT80S-6QF-Titan-SLI-Notebook-Review.157615.0.html

3dmark firestrike standard score is around 17k, inline (within 1%) of the normal GTX 980 in SLI, still behind a single 980ti that normally gets anywhere from 19k to 22k

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
MSI like apples trash can so much they made their own ^_^.

lets be honest, if someone made a trash can form factor, than put all the heatsinks in the middle, with a fan intake and outtake on that, it would be amazing at least as far as cooling the components goes.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I like it. I'm surprised MSI and not ASUS was first in copying Apple's brilliant concept. Beyond the GPU's what makes this possible is the motherboard form factor as well. We need new form factor beyond M-ITX or the NUC.

f-14

Distinguished

There is a review up for 980 "desktop" flavor of mobile chip in SLI configuration (tested in the new MSI GT80 laptop):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT80S-6QF-Titan-SLI-Notebook-Review.157615.0.html

3dmark firestrike standard score is around 17k, inline (within 1%) of the normal GTX 980 in SLI, still behind a single 980ti that normally gets anywhere from 19k to 22k

the980m is only a bit above 5k & barely able to edge out a 960.
you forget mobile is low power and thus gutted when it comes to performance the same way a midget is to micheal jordan in basketball.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

f-14

Distinguished
the980m is only a bit above 5k & barely able to edge out a 960.
you forget mobile is low power and thus gutted when it comes to performance the same way a midget is to micheal jordan in basketball.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

i forgot to add it's the same kind of gutting that is done to the lower end gt cards where they have 128 bit bus but only gddr3 instead of gddr5 like the gt730 64 bit bus version has.
it's rigged for a reason---> size, heat, and power consumption to make it mobile.
i also suspect the benchmark numbers come from being plugged in as battery mode they wouldn't score even 5k with out killing the battery in 5 minutes or less

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
lol, I have to say it does look just like a trash can. And like a trash can, doesn't fit in anywhere, specially when you have a bunch of cables sticking out of it. Small flat cases are better just because you can fit them under the monitor stand and the wires are then behind the monitor.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Me too. Now I get the design I want, with a Windows computer. I won't though, because it's not upgradeable and outrageously priced, but I understand it.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's not a trashcan, its a cleaner droid. It clearly doesn't have rounded corners so Apple can't sue for patent infringement.
There are only 2 companies in the world that can build this system entirely in house without expanding its business. Apple outsources the parts it uses in its MacPro's. ASUS and MSI have the mobo and gpu manufacturing in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.