MSI CREATOR P65 VS Macbook pro display photo-editing

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hello, I am professional wedding photographer and trying to choose laptop for editing when travelling etc. I am looking at MSI Creator P65 do you think display is good enough for my use ? The other option is Macbook pro 13" which is priced as MSI Creator, the only disadvantage here I see is 13" display. Performance of both is pretty good for me. Also I do not care about storage size as my main PC is desktop + I could use external ssd. Dell XPS 15 / HP Spectre 15 and Macbook Pro 15 are a lot more expensive in my country and out of budget. Msi Creator P65 specs: ( i7 8750H Coffee Lake, 15.6" IPS 1920x1080 RAM 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, SSD 256GB), Macbook pro 13" Specs ( i5 2.3 GHz Kaby Lake, 13.3" IPS 2560x1600 Retina, RAM 8GB LPDDR3, IHD 640, SSD 128GB. I do have Spyder 5 Pro so i can software calibrate the LCD . Thanks for your time

The MSI Creator P65 has a mediocre screen. It is quite dim at 235 cd/m2 the Macbook is 519 cd/m2. It has a poor Delta E. Considerably lower AdobeRGB and sRGB color spaces. A much lower contrast. This is not a screen for a photographer. Especially one who will likely be in brightly lit venues.

Look for laptops in your country which are reviewed by notebookcheck.net or laptopmag.com. As they delve into display testing. Notebookcheck.net is usually more thorough. Laptopmag is easier to understand.

With all that being said. The Macbook Pro has an excellent screen. Generally higher DPI IPS panels outperform lower DPI ones. In color range and contrast. You'll generally want to look at 4K IPS laptops to outperform the Macbook's display. There are going to be some better 1920x1080 screens. It'll be easier to find better 4K screens. Also keep in mind. The Macbook Pro uses a 16:10 aspect ratio. Which many Pros prefer to 16:9 given the greater vertical height on a small screen.