MSI Develops Dust Removal Tech for GPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
probably it must be taken as a dust prevention, not removing. The fact is that dust is blown out every time you start your computer, and this should make the difference. When reading the title, most of us had the image of a card after some years of use without cleaning the case, and that amount of dust it can't be removed by a simple fan. I suppose that there are changes in the design of the blades and the cooler itself, but I would like to see this on all the computer fans. Its also sad that cost cutting removed the dust filters found on server chasis...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Same thing inside a computer case, if you blow dust from one component but simply blow it towards other components how is that helping anything?[/citation]

Of course it is. The purpose of removing dust isn't so the inside of your case looks pretty but to clear obstacles for airflow. If this counterspin really removed the dust from the card and deposited it on the bottom of the PC case (or even evenly over all other components), it would still help a lot with cooling (and noise obviously).

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Laptops totally NEED this! Its tricky to clean a laptop without taking it apart - especially sense it often is full of hair and stuff. Ugh!

greenwood

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Wont this just send the dust elsewhere in the tower? And eventually get itself back into the video card? I don't like the idea of pushing it out while the case is still closed. What about the dust and grime that attaches itself the the blades of the fans?

A year ago I bought a cheap 100 air compressor. With this, I can clean the sh*t out of my tower and get all the dust out completely and efficiently. After doing this for over a year, I opened up my case, took out my video card, and was amazed to see hardly any dust on it. This is from using compressed air from the exterior of the card.

Air compressors ftw!

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]greenwood[/nom]Wont this just send the dust elsewhere in the tower? And eventually get itself back into the video card? I don't like the idea of pushing it out while the case is still closed. What about the dust and grime that attaches itself the the blades of the fans? A year ago I bought a cheap 100 air compressor. With this, I can clean the sh*t out of my tower and get all the dust out completely and efficiently. After doing this for over a year, I opened up my case, took out my video card, and was amazed to see hardly any dust on it. This is from using compressed air from the exterior of the card. Air compressors ftw![/citation]

I totally agree, air compressors work awesome. Plus you save LOTS of money not buying all that canned air!

This is a good idea and I think MSI is on to something. I'm sure it won't remove all the dust, but at least you know there are no giant dust bunnies blocking your GPU fan.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
1. Won't the air blown out of the card at boot be sucked back again after the 30 seconds?

2. Cards that haven't seen much cleaning in months have most of the dust "stuck" to the fins, due to humidity, nicotine, resin, etc.

I'm all for a self-cleaning computer, but I'm not sure this will be revolutionary.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
So, when you turn the pc on, it blows everything, but 30 seconds later it just sucks? Interesting...

Nice tech, btw. Could see it on the other fans on the case, to take the dust out of it.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]hahahahahah they've posted the same article twice! This was first posted in January on Tom's itself!! lol. This one has a video and may be about a diff card (didn't read it, just saw the title and scrolled through the article) but that's about it i think...here's the link:http://www.tomshardware.com/news/m [...] 12858.html[/citation]

Last week, MSI introduced a new feature it's adding to its graphic cards called Dust Removal technology, and right now it's only available on the meaty N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition add-on.

Yeah, Toms know it. This time, they're launching a real product.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Cool, but the dust is going right back in the case where it can be sucked up again. I have a 30 gallon, 175 PSI, 9.5 CFM commercial grade air compressor just to clean out my dusty computers and blow up balloons.

G

Apple won't be doing this because they are more interested in getting rid of fans all together. Ever heard of anyone worrying about dust in an iPad? If you don't have to use several hundred cubic feet of air every minute you won't build up any dust. This is why they are complaining to Intel about the power requirements of their processors. Low power high efficiency for the win. ;-)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Apple won't be doing this because they are more interested in getting rid of fans all together. Ever heard of anyone worrying about dust in an iPad? If you don't have to use several hundred cubic feet of air every minute you won't build up any dust. This is why they are complaining to Intel about the power requirements of their processors. Low power high efficiency for the win. ;-)

Whatever... it only makes sense for mobile stuff (would love my netbook to be completely silent, lol). On desktop... I love it when my Twin Frozr II fans spin up to full RPM... it's like a jet engine... feel the power, hear the power! :sol:

G

How about case fan filters? Don't let the dust get there in the first place. I have two cases with filters and they work like a champ.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fesfsef[/nom]How about case fan filters? Don't let the dust get there in the first place. I have two cases with filters and they work like a champ.[/citation]
And they still do the same job when you upgrade the graphics card...

G

I have ruined some cooling fans in my day by blowing things out with an air compressor. Remember to remove the fans before you blow off the heat sinks. It blows dust right into the bushings/bearing of the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.