Question MSI EZ-Debug CPU light solid red, issue persisting from old motherboard ?

May 28, 2023
System:
CPU: i7-13700k
GPU: RTX-3080
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz
Storage: old nvme ssd of unknown brand from old prebuilt system
Case: Hyte Y60
PSU: Corsair RMx 1000 watt
Motherboard: MSI Pro z690-a Wifi DDR4
Old motherboard (with same problem): Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 wifi

Note: The bios of the MSI Pro z690-a has been updated to the latest version which supports intel 13th gen CPUs

The Problem (TLDR at end):
The problem began (with my old motherboard) where my computer seemingly randomly turned off and was unable to POST when powered on, with the case / gpu fans seeming fine. This ended with me trying the computer bare bones, outside of the case, with only the CPU, it’s two power cables, ATX cable, RAM, and CPU cooler connected. Though this was unsuccessful. Thinking it may be a motherboard problem, I ordered the new one, updated the BIOS to the latest, and tried it again, successfully.

The computer worked more or less fine for a few days with only intermittent complete non-responsiveness of individual windows. After the few days however, the computer got to the point where upon booting up the computer only ran for a few seconds in the login screen before the display froze. This similarly happened if I tried to boot to a recovery windows 10 USB. Thinking it may be a GPU issue since the display was freezing, I opened the computer (unplugging it of course) and removed and replaced the GPU and it’s two PCIE cables. Once I plugged the computer back in however, the EZ-Debug CPU light glowed red as it does now, and I have been unable to get the system to POST even after trying to run it barebones again as I did before. Additionally, I have tried swapping the RAM kit to a different set with zero success.
TLDR:
Computer randomly turned off with first motherboard, refused to POST with CPU debug on even when barebones and having tried different set of RAM. New motherboard works fine(ish) for a few days until it begins freezing completely a few seconds into windows being started (login screen). I try to fix by unplugging and replugging the GPU, only leading to the same problem has I had before. Removing / adding GPU changes nothing.

Im wondering if this is a problem I could fix somehow, or if I’m going to need to replace more components for a working PC. Don’t hesitate to ask for more information if I forgot to provide any. Thank you all very much for the help in advance, sorry for the long post.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
D

Deleted member 2838871

Once I plugged the computer back in however, the EZ-Debug CPU light glowed red as it does now, and I have been unable to get the system to POST even after trying to run it barebones again as I did before.

That's what mine did when my CPU died last month.