[SOLVED] MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 speaker installed but no beep when booting up.

Ben Shimon

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
I just installed a speaker today - before now it has not had one. The computer boots up and works just fine but does not give the single normal boot beep. I have the latest BIOS installed and the Operating system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
I couldn't find anything about the speaker in the manual and from what I could find on the Internet it seems that the speaker is to be installed on the JFP2 four pin connection.
I have tried the speaker plugged in with the red wire in one direction and then the other - still no beep. I have tried another speaker in both directions and no beeps (both speakers are new).
So, either I have the speaker installed on the wrong connector of the motherboard, or the beeping is somehow disabled - possibly in BIOS (but I didn't see anything in the BIOS settings pertaining to this).
There has to be a simple solution to this, I just don't know what it might be.

Ben Shimon

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
I had not turned Fast boot on or off in the Bias. I looked and found this: Under the "Advanced" menu - "Windows 8 Configuration" - "Windows 8 Feature" (already disabled) - "MSI Fast Boot" (already disabled) - "Fast Boot" (already disabled)
Those were the only things I could find the had "Fast Boot" in them and they were already disabled. I was hoping that would be the fix, but unfortunately it is not.

I found on page 33 of your motherboard's manual the diagram of the JFP2, the pin 2 & 3 are also used for beeper. You can mod your beeper connector to move the wires to the center to use with pins 2 & 3 on the JFP2 header instead of pins 1 & 4.

Ben Shimon

Commendable
Apr 23, 2021
Yes, I also noticed that. I had considered doing what you mentioned but didn't do it. So... since you mentioned it I thought... why not... I discovered that a large sewing needle works very well for lifting the plastic stopper so the connector can be withdrawn. I moved the wires to the center two positions and tried it - no beep. I turned the speaker the other direction... still no beep. So I removed it and returned the wires to their normal position.
I bought this board new some years ago and I have been the only one using it, so it isn't something that someone else has done to it that damaged it. It has always been mounted in a computer case and operating since the day I purchased it.
Very puzzling. I never thought to install a beeper on it before, and now it is "one of those things" that must be solved! :)

Reactions: lvt
Yes, I also noticed that. I had considered doing what you mentioned but didn't do it. So... since you mentioned it I thought... why not... I discovered that a large sewing needle works very well for lifting the plastic stopper so the connector can be withdrawn. I moved the wires to the center two positions and tried it - no beep. I turned the speaker the other direction... still no beep. So I removed it and returned the wires to their normal position.
I bought this board new some years ago and I have been the only one using it, so it isn't something that someone else has done to it that damaged it. It has always been mounted in a computer case and operating since the day I purchased it.
Very puzzling. I never thought to install a beeper on it before, and now it is "one of those things" that must be solved! :)

Given that your Bios work flawlessly, and there is no issue with the beeper circuit, I suspect that some Bios version don't do it. Among the computers with Asus motherboards that I built, there are some that never beep. Another one with a Lenovo motherboard having a buzzer soldered directly to the PCB, it doesn't beep either.