[SOLVED] MSI Game Boost w/ Ryzen 5 2600X?

Jul 27, 2019
I'm not very familiar with overclocking, however I read you can't overclock with the Ryzen 5 2600X. Is this true?

Is it safe to turn on MSI Game Boost in BIOS settings?

Is it still safe to use MSI afterburner to increase core clock & memory clock?

Thanks,Sean

Solution
I'm not very familiar with overclocking, however I read you can't overclock with the Ryzen 5 2600X. Is this true?

Thanks,Sean

It's not true, you CAN overclock with 2600X. It's just not recommended because you can get better results with PBO.... Precision Boost Overdrive.

You can try turning Game Boost on. Make sure all other parameters are set to default.

I don't know that it's safe to use MSI Afterburner to overclock a Ryzen processor; actually though I didn't know it did. Still, AMD's RyzenMaster does it very reliably and there's really no good reason to use anything else... except...

Thanks,Sean

It's not true, you CAN overclock with 2600X. It's just not recommended because you can get better results with PBO.... Precision Boost Overdrive.

You can try turning Game Boost on. Make sure all other parameters are set to default.

I don't know that it's safe to use MSI Afterburner to overclock a Ryzen processor; actually though I didn't know it did. Still, AMD's RyzenMaster does it very reliably and there's really no good reason to use anything else... except maybe BIOS so it's established every time you boot up. But if you DO make any overclock adjustments in BIOS you shouldn't use even RyzenMaster to make changes in Windows as results can be unpredictable.

Solution
Jul 27, 2019

I don't know that it's safe to use MSI Afterburner to overclock a Ryzen processor; actually though I didn't know it did. Still, AMD's RyzenMaster does it very reliably and there's really no good reason to use anything else... except maybe BIOS so it's established every time you boot up. But if you DO make any overclock adjustments in BIOS you shouldn't use even RyzenMaster to make changes in Windows as results can be unpredictable.

Thanks man. I’ll look into RyzenMaster for CPU overclocking.

As far as MSI goes, I was referring to the GPU. If RyzenMaster does both then I won’t bother with MSI afterburner.