[SOLVED] MSI GAMING X GTX 1660 SUPER running at 100% fan speed ?

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
A few hours ago my GPU fans ramped up to 100%. I tried going into MSI dragon center to enable silent mode but that didn't work i then tried going into MSI afterburner to manually reduce the fan speed but that didn;t work either after that i went into safe mode to see if the problem was still present and it wasn't the fans defaulted back to 0dB mode. Does anyone know what's causing this? At first I assumed it was dragon center so i tried ending all of dragon centers processes in task manager but that didn't work.

UPDATE: Reinstalling drivers worked thank you Lutfij for helping
Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X 4GHZ
Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX 400 V2
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X
mobo: MSI Tomahawk b350
Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance LPX DDR4
Case: Gamemax phantom
case fans: BeQuiet Pure Wings 140mm
psu: Coolermaster 500w
SSD: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVME
HDD: 2TB Seagate

Last edited:
Solution
Might want to list your specs to your build for the community. If the specs to your build are in your sig space, please find it in your heart to post them in the body of your thread. Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, this thread and relevant suggestions end up being moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

As for your GPU, might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Then see what OS version you're on(assuming you're on Windows 10). See if you have any updates pending for said OS. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU drivers from manufacture's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click...

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to list your specs to your build for the community. If the specs to your build are in your sig space, please find it in your heart to post them in the body of your thread. Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens, this thread and relevant suggestions end up being moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

As for your GPU, might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Then see what OS version you're on(assuming you're on Windows 10). See if you have any updates pending for said OS. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU drivers from manufacture's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What do you system resource usages look like when idle?

Solution

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

As for your GPU, might want to check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Then see what OS version you're on(assuming you're on Windows 10). See if you have any updates pending for said OS. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then manually reinstall your GPU drivers from manufacture's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What do you system resource usages look like when idle?
Hi, Yes my specs are in my sig I'll add them to the body. system resources are normal 3% GPU usage at idle 8% CPU usage at idle 10% memory at idle 0% disk at idle they stay about the same during web browsing and video streaming too. My OS and BIOS are up to date I shall try reinstall drivers I'll report back afterwards.