MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpionking20

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks. I would love a database of clocks/temps/noise comparing differing cards. I'm looking to sidegrade my 1070's to a 1080ti, and am not in a rush. Noise bugs me a lot more than others, so I try to go for the most quiet solution...but I may be getting a Ryzen with a proper loop too, so if I did that I may get a FE card to throw into the loop...too many options.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I've already tested four cards in Germany (four more in pipeline), all other stuff is already in translation. After publishing a few more cards on US site, we will put also a kind of landing/summary page with comparable data ;)

But I can't spoiler the other reviews results before publishing it ;)

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Sound and temp is it increased with this card? .. with its own cooler how much cooler? Lots of fans pushing air.. yeah I updated my case.. has three large fans.. one thing i don't get.. I have seen nothing of temperature controls, no meters nothing to indicate temperatures inside the case.. or nothing showing use a peak times during gaming..

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I can't understand your question, sorry.

But you can monitor the GPU temperature by yourself with tools like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner (also with an OSD). Then compare the results with my IR pictures and you have a good point to calculate the other temps by yourself. ;)

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The problem is:
Nvidia has never sampled this card.

I have here a Quadro P6000 and this card is similar. Due the thermal limits of Nvidias stock cooler it is not significant faster. Ok, a little bit, but not a whole universe. And Nvidia will not be amused, if I use a 5000 USD workstation card in gaming benchmarks ;)

LwNickV

Prominent
May 9, 2017
I have a question about Overclocking, you mention you need to "max out the voltage slider". But i saw it mentioned in another review that Voltage Slider is locked for this card. So what do you mean with that statement? Is just upping the Power Target to 330 enough to reach 2000 mhz+-?

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Tom's was given an unlocked version of MSI AB back in March to test an FE Ti with it and was done using H20 cooling; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-water-cooling,4975-2.html They also give instructions on how to manipulate AB to access the voltage settings, until a new(er), unlocked version of AB rolls...

"We're fortunate enough to have a version of MSI’s Afterburner utility unlocked especially for us. If you want access to similar settings before a new version of Afterburner is released, you can manually add your 1080 Ti to the third-party database using the VDDC_Generic_Detection entry under the VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_120F10DE&REV_?? key. A quick search online should turn up plenty of in-depth instructions on how to do this."

However, you can just move the POWER-LIMIT slider to the max, along with bumping your clock settings. These aftermarket cards will crack past 2K MHz, no problem w/out touching voltage, this card included... It's a CHAMP!

Joonhong

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Good review. I guess it is still hard to fully enjoy UHD games with a single card. I wait for the VOLTA!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm playing only in UHD and have two rigs - one with a water cooled 1080 Ti and my gaming table with two water cooled 1080 non-Ti as SLI. But to be honest, the single card solution gives me the better experience. I'm really sensitive for stuttering. Games like Prey, Andromeda and Ghost Recon are running well on this oc'ed 1080 Ti in UHD (without this power-hungry Nvidia effects). It is not 100% perfect, but better than all this SLI drops und stuttering. And it's more efficient ;)

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
Hey do you guys happen to have a review coming out for the GIGABYTE Aorus Xtreme GTX 1080 Ti? I think you'll agree that the card's clock speeds (Core and VRAM are boosted a fair amount) are wicked fast even compared to this one from MSI!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The review of the Aorus 1080 Ti Extreme Edition is already online in Germany and currently in translation. :)

So don't worry. Also online in German are the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 and the Zotac 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme. Both are also in translation now. The Galax 1080 Ti EXOC Black and the Palit 1080 Ti SuperJetstream are in the Pipeline, after this I test the Asus Strix too. :)

But atm I'm reviewing the single-slot Galax GTX 1070 Katana with a BIOS-improvement togeter with Galax ;)

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

The GTX 1080 Ti was the answer for me dropping a 2-way GTX 980 Ti setup... Great for titles that supported it BUT SLI support in newer titles is waning. With these newer GPU's getting more and more powerful, with each series release especially the top-tier ones, SLI has seen it's hey-day IMO.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I have the feeling, that Nvidia really dislike Multi-GPU and not one of the latest AA games (mostly Nvidia sponsored) was supporting it 100%.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

For the most part, the vendor versions do not vary much other than the overclock's, cooling solutions and "make-up" they slap on them from the factory, with some exceptions. However, take note of the following before deciding:

1. effectiveness of cooling solution/fans, etc.
2. power-phases; the more phases means more clean& consistent power to the GPU for better stability esp. if OC is your thing
3. do your home-work on reviews of all models within your budget, both pro and customer; tom's, guru3d etc. and Newegg for customer/buyer inputs
4. avoid brand loyalism/fanboyism to a particular brand and/or company; go with what is best rated for your dollar(s)
5. be sure to check what kind of warranty policy is offered by the manufacturer prior to purchase
6. be sure to read the RMA/return/refund policy of the vendor you purchase from prior to purchase, should issues arise

This is not all inclusive but should help point you in a somewhat good direction.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

This is mostly marketing and a lie (we have 19 phases - Zotac). The currect IC's doesnt't allow more than 6 or 8 separate controlled phases. The vendors are using very often the so-called phase doubling to split the current (and as follow) the heat. A card with 12 CPU "phases" owns in real only 6 phases, but each of them is splitted into 2 ciruits. I can use a 1080 Ti reference board to supply over 500 Watts without any problems. There are "only" 7 real phases and one of these is also working as load balancer between PCIe connector and mainboard. All this "better OC stability" due more phases is an urban legend and pure marketing, nothing else ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS