Review MSI GF63 Thin Review: Gaming on the (Real) Cheap

These 'gaming' laptops are hobbled right out of the box. 8gbs of ram and GTX1650 (40w)!!

My 3 year old Omen 15 (i7 9750h +GTX1660ti) buries this unit.

16gbs and a decent mobile GPU should be the starting point for these entry level machines. Rip off, even at $600.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Fran-
Thanks for the review!

Only because of the thermals I would not recommend this laptop. This thing gets way too hot with too little hardware in it. Even if you could ugprade it and keep costs "in check", I don't see this thing being a good long-term buy, personally speaking.

Regards.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
This is a VERY weird review. Is this even a new product?

I think it's really just manifactturers making the most out of the current market. There are still folks who will pay for this kinda stuff, and then wonder why it's not 'performing' as it should be. Not new, but new for the buyer. A 1650 is barely playable at 1080p in most any game produced/released in the last 18 months. Ugggh. Blatant gouging!

I think it's really just manifactturers making the most out of the current market. There are still folks who will pay for this kinda stuff, and then wonder why it's not 'performing' as it should be. Not new, but new for the buyer. A 1650 is barely playable at 1080p in most any game produced/released in the last 18 months. Ugggh. Blatant gouging!
It's what my gaming laptop has, but I bought it for $450 two years ago. I've still gotta play Witcher 2 on it though. My desktop is for new games.

scottscholzpdx

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
These 'gaming' laptops are hobbled right out of the box. 8gbs of ram and GTX1650 (40w)!!

My 3 year old Omen 15 (i7 9750h +GTX1660ti) buries this unit.

16gbs and a decent mobile GPU should be the starting point for these entry level machines. Rip off, even at $600.
Not everyone needs that kind of ommph for mobile gaming, especially if it isn't a desktop replacement.

I recently picked up a Zenbook 14 for $369. Ultrabook form factor, 62w max pull. 5500u (15w), MX 450 2GB (30w), 8GB DDR4 4266, 2TB NVME, 14" 1080P IPS. It plays every game while I'm on the road and fits in the same cases my 13"Macbook does. Anything bigger or more powerful would be a waste.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I know looks isn't everything, but that laptop at a glance looks very similar to my Ivy-Bridge era midrange Lenovo laptop from 2013. Maybe because its thickness or chunkiness? It just doesn't look like a laptop that's been released this year, even for an "entry-level" machine.

That bad huh? I tried a 1650 Super before, and IMO if you don't really care that much for eye-candy and have a relatively low standard (like me), it's great, more than enough.

Not everyone needs that kind of ommph for mobile gaming, especially if it isn't a desktop replacement.

I recently picked up a Zenbook 14 for $369. Ultrabook form factor, 62w max pull. 5500u (15w), MX 450 2GB (30w), 8GB DDR4 4266, 2TB NVME, 14" 1080P IPS. It plays every game while I'm on the road and fits in the same cases my 13"Macbook does. Anything bigger or more powerful would be a waste.
But this machine is bigger, more expensive, and not powerful. It's kinda useless.

You can get a GTX 3050 Ti for $600 on sales.

Last edited:
I know looks isn't everything, but that laptop at a glance looks very similar to my Ivy-Bridge era midrange Lenovo laptop from 2013. Maybe because its thickness or chunkiness? It just doesn't look like a laptop that's been released this year, even for an "entry-level" machine.

That bad huh? I tried a 1650 Super before, and IMO if you don't really care that much for eye-candy and have a relatively low standard (like me), it's great, more than enough.
It's not that the machine is bad. It's that it was this price two years ago.

Apr 1, 2023
I have MSI GF73 11SC With GTX 1650(Not Max-Q hopefully) 60W, 16GB ram, 512 GB Ssd , 144Hz Full HD display, and i5-11400H
Buy it for 923$
Comfortable and powerful