[SOLVED] MSI GF65 alarming temperatures

Nov 29, 2020
Hello all,

I've got a new GF65 Thin from MSI, i9750h + RTX 2060.

Did some undervolt, using a 5 vents cooler pad.

Did some Doom Eternal and Witcher 3 (with improved textures) and the temperatures rose to around 95/97°. It's not a costant temperature, it's just a peak It reaches sometimes, usually It works under 80°, but it's getting me worried. I've still 4 days to give the laptop back If I'm not satistified, but I think I understand the situation is similar with all gaming laptops... What do you think?
Here's some screens
HWINFO1
HWINFO2
HWINFO3

Solution
Most laptop heatsinks are borderline inadequate. Random temperature spikes are normal.

The best way to adjust your voltages is to do some testing with Cinebench R20.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Start with the core and cache at -120 mV for a baseline run. After that, start bumping the core by -25 mV and do another test. Watch for improved performance or improved temperatures. Many 9750H are still 100% stable with the core at -200 mV or -220 mV as long as the cache is not set too high. If you lose stability and hit a wall, back the cache off -5 mV and test again.
Hey there,

Yes, you are correct. It's pretty normal for most gaming laptops. I've a similar specced HP Omen, and when I saw the temps go pretty high, pretty quickly, like you I was like, WTF!!?? With such a small size, these 45w CPU's and 80w GPU's really do get warm inside the small chassis.

I wouldn't worry to much. The good news is there are a few things you can do to help. Similar to your laptop I have an I7 9750h in mine. It's a great little CPU, but it does get particularly hot. To combat you can try these things:

1. Undervolt your CPU, using Intel XTU, or Throttlestop. I'd suggest watching some good tutorials, and it might sound daunting, but it's not really. Essentially you undervolt the CPU to decrease temps. The benefit is two fold. Your temps are (depending on the undervolt) anywhere from 5-15c lower. Some CPU's undervolt more than others. So it's trial and error. The second benefit of that is, that because there a lower temps, your CPU can boost higher, and for longer. This is a win-win.

2. Bring your laptop to a local PC store and get them to replace thermal paste on CPU/GPU. This again, can bring temps lower by about 5c +.

3. Thirdly, you can look at a laptop cooling pad. They are very effective. My own brings my temps down about another 5c, but more than that because of the cool air, there is less fluctuation in temps in general (I monitor mine in the background.).

If you want to the undervolt, here's a pretty good guide for your/my CPU:

i7 9750H Undervolt Settings Using Throttlestop - YouTube

It's pretty easy to follow, and explains what your doing while you go along. The results are impressive. You may get the odd crash as a result of the testing. That's okay. It will happen, until you hit a sweet spot.

If you would like to try TS or Intel XTU drop me a PM, and I can try give you a few settings to help. But the tutorial above is pretty comprehensive. Follow it and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020
Hey there,

Yes, you are correct. It's pretty normal for most gaming laptops. I've a similar specced HP Omen, and when I saw the temps go pretty high, pretty quickly, like you I was like, WTF!!?? With such a small size, these 45w CPU's and 80w GPU's really do get warm inside the small chassis.

I wouldn't worry to much. The good news is there are a few things you can do to help. Similar to your laptop I have an I7 9750h in mine. It's a great little CPU, but it does get particularly hot. To combat you can try these things:

1. Undervolt your CPU, using Intel XTU, or Throttlestop. I'd suggest watching some good tutorials, and it might sound daunting, but it's not really. Essentially you undervolt the CPU to decrease temps. The benefit is two fold. Your temps are (depending on the undervolt) anywhere from 5-15c lower. Some CPU's undervolt more than others. So it's trial and error. The second benefit of that is, that because there a lower temps, your CPU can boost higher, and for longer. This is a win-win.

2. Bring your laptop to a local PC store and get them to replace thermal paste on CPU/GPU. This again, can bring temps lower by about 5c +.

3. Thirdly, you can look at a laptop cooling pad. They are very effective. My own brings my temps down about another 5c, but more than that because of the cool air, there is less fluctuation in temps in general (I monitor mine in the background.).

If you want to the undervolt, here's a pretty good guide for your/my CPU:

i7 9750H Undervolt Settings Using Throttlestop - YouTube

It's pretty easy to follow, and explains what your doing while you go along. The results are impressive. You may get the odd crash as a result of the testing. That's okay. It will happen, until you hit a sweet spot.

If you would like to try TS or Intel XTU drop me a PM, and I can try give you a few settings to help. But the tutorial above is pretty comprehensive. Follow it and see how you get on.
Thx for the answer, I already did number 1 and 3. I don't get why those spikes are random.. right now I played 2 hours with normal temps
HWINFO IMAGE

That is a little unusual.

Of course it does depend on what game you are playing. Some are more CPU intensive than others.

Typically for me, I'm at or about in these games:

1. BF V - CPU 75-85c, GPU 70c. (Depending on game mode/map)
  2. Far Cry 5 - CPU 65-70c, GPU 65c solid.
  3. Grid (2019) - CPU 65-70c, GPU 65c.
So there is an expected variance there. Also ambient temps really play a part too for laptops. Much more room in a desktop.

My undervolt is around this using throttlestop 'Fivr' tab:

CPU Core: -141.6
Cache: -119.1
Intel GPU: -49.8.

The spikes could be the CPU boosting on 1 core to the max boost for that CPU, being 4.5ghz. Using TS, I limit the boost to an all core 4ghz. Having the CPU to boost to 4.5 is irrelevant for me. I don't need the best scores in some benchmark. I'd prefer to have my CPU running consistently, with temps I can control. So 4ghz all core for me is what I want.

Nov 29, 2020
That is a little unusual.

Of course it does depend on what game you are playing. Some are more CPU intensive than others.

Typically for me, I'm at or about in these games:

1. BF V - CPU 75-85c, GPU 70c. (Depending on game mode/map)
  2. Far Cry 5 - CPU 65-70c, GPU 65c solid.
  3. Grid (2019) - CPU 65-70c, GPU 65c.
So there is an expected variance there. Also ambient temps really play a part too for laptops. Much more room in a desktop.

My undervolt is around this using throttlestop 'Fivr' tab:

CPU Core: -141.6
Cache: -119.1
Intel GPU: -49.8.

The spikes could be the CPU boosting on 1 core to the max boost for that CPU, being 4.5ghz. Using TS, I limit the boost to an all core 4ghz. Having the CPU to boost to 4.5 is irrelevant for me. I don't need the best scores in some benchmark. I'd prefer to have my CPU running consistently, with temps I can control. So 4ghz all core for me is what I want.
I got those spikes in some segments of witcher 3 with max settings and HD texture pack and in Doom Eternal with Ultra/Nightmare settings.
Right now I Just played two hours of The Witcher 3 and I got 67° average CPU and 70° GPU, dunno why It's a bit random those spikes... Can you show me how you did manage the boosts?
I Just modified voltage to -135 core and -125 cache, -16 integrated and limited short and long turbo boost to 24

Most laptop heatsinks are borderline inadequate. Random temperature spikes are normal.

The best way to adjust your voltages is to do some testing with Cinebench R20.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Start with the core and cache at -120 mV for a baseline run. After that, start bumping the core by -25 mV and do another test. Watch for improved performance or improved temperatures. Many 9750H are still 100% stable with the core at -200 mV or -220 mV as long as the cache is not set too high. If you lose stability and hit a wall, back the cache off -5 mV and test again.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

TRENDING THREADS