MSI Goes Green (Again) With Eco-Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Again, why not that these 'green' technologies in ALL MSI motherboards and applicable laptops, if it doesn't reduce performance necessarily?

Geese Howard

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
@hst101rox

Doesn't reduce performance is a bit of a misnomer. The eco series chipsets are not Z series, they use B series. There isn't really any option for overclocking and the boards push the memory in single channel. So if you do not need the features of a Z series, do not overclock, these do what they are designed for. But what's the point of sticking these features in a Z series Gaming board? Someone would overclock that and the power savings would be rendered worthless, and they aren't using the S and T series low wattage CPUs they are using K series. And then the cost savings would go out the window with the added cost of more VRMs, more heat sinks and the rest to support that usage.

You can have power efficient and cheap, or you can have performance and features... you can't have it all in the same package.

Also going green often means using different solders and other items to reduce toxicity. These hold fine under normal usage with low wattage parts, they crap out instantly with high wattage parts. You can't have enviro friendly and high end performance, doesn't mix.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Oh I didn't realize the single memory channel and limited chipset. But the LED customization, the features to shut off certain parts of the board (Eco Center Pro software compatibility), high efficiency voltage regulators (if better in these green mobos) should be across all their motherboards, with performance as #1 priority in performance models. They use less toxic lead in these mobos? Do they have an endurance line too (I'll google)? All the solder on motherboard these days are lead free I think but I don't really know. Not sure how spendy these green mobos are.

"You can't have enviro friendly and high end performance, doesn't mix." They can try. Features, performance and then efficiency as much as possible, some added cost. Tesla Motors. had to say it. Though their EV takes more power per mile than the other ones.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
@hst101rox
Doesn't reduce performance is a bit of a misnomer. The eco series chipsets are not Z series, they use B series. There isn't really any option for overclocking and the boards push the memory in single channel.

The H170M is dual channel memory.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
@hst101rox
Doesn't reduce performance is a bit of a misnomer. The eco series chipsets are not Z series, they use B series. There isn't really any option for overclocking and the boards push the memory in single channel.

The H170M is dual channel memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.