Question MSI GT80 Titan does not boot ---- "Your PC/device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" ?

Jun 8, 2022
I have two identical MSI GT80 Titan SLI laptops. Configured identically, each one with the primary Win10 (latest-greatest) and a cloned Win10 a few months ago in case the primary is damaged. So 4 Win10 installs per 2 machines.

One of the GT80s recently developed issues with freezing. At first, I thought it was a Win10 issue. But then the problem started occurring with a copy of Win10 I haven't' upgraded or touched in 6 months, it's a cloned disk of the primary disk and the OS never had any issues with freezing.

If the machine froze and I rebooted it, it would no longer boot. No response to the ON button. Other than the keyboard lighting up but that's it. Had to wait a while before it would start.

The issue progressed, to the point where none of the 4 operating systems on the problem GT80 laptop boot. The two on the problem machine generate the following and the two from the other computer also generate the following. All of them work on another machine.

"Your PC/device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed"

I went into BIOS, pointed to the boot SSD to no avail.

I ran a memory test, booting off a flash drive and the machine froze during memory test. So it froze without an operating systems loaded or attempted to be loaded.

Linux CentOS no longer boots in that problematic GT80. Boots just fine in the 'normal' GT80.

I took out the problematic Win10 SSD and installed it into my backup GT80 and it boots just fine. Nothing at all wrong with the operating systems. In fact all of the several SSDs that do not boot in problematic GT80 work just fine in the backup GT80.

I have two identical MSI GT80 Titan SLI laptops. Configured identically, each one with the primary Win10 (latest-greatest) and a cloned Win10 a few months ago in case the primary is damaged. So 4 Win10 installs per 2 machines.

One of the GT80s recently developed issues with freezing. At first, I thought it was a Win10 issue. But then the problem started occurring with a copy of Win10 I haven't' upgraded or touched in 6 months, it's a cloned disk of the primary disk and the OS never had any issues with freezing.

If the machine froze and I rebooted it, it would no longer boot. No response to the ON button. Other than the keyboard lighting up but that's it. Had to wait a while before it would start.

The issue progressed, to the point where none of the 4 operating systems on the problem GT80 laptop boot. The two on the problem machine generate the following and the two from the other computer also generate the following. All of them work on another machine.

"Your PC/device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed"

I went into BIOS, pointed to the boot SSD to no avail.

I ran a memory test, booting off a flash drive and the machine froze during memory test. So it froze without an operating systems loaded or attempted to be loaded.

Linux CentOS no longer boots in that problematic GT80. Boots just fine in the 'normal' GT80.

I took out the problematic Win10 SSD and installed it into my backup GT80 and it boots just fine. Nothing at all wrong with the operating systems. In fact all of the several SSDs that do not boot in problematic GT80 work just fine in the backup GT80.
Unplug all disk.
Use just one stick of ram.

Does the pc now run memtest?

Jun 8, 2022
Yes, it boots off the USB device and runs the memtest -- successfully. Finds nothing wrong.

I did more experiments. Swapped in a disk from a "good" MSI Titan laptop and it doesn't work either. And, used a disk from a "bad" Titan and it works in the "good" Titan. So it's definitely not a operating system/disk issue. Something is wrong hardware-wise.
The disks are fine, all 5 disks I have with operating systems on them, 4 win10 and 1 Linux. All work in the working laptop and none work in the non-working laptop, saying the operating system needs to be repaired.