[SOLVED] MSI GTX 1060 3Gb not working

Jan 25, 2021
I need help,
when I installed the GPU (MSI GTX 1060 3Gb) and turned ON the PC, the fans on the gpu work but it doesnt show the screen and doesnt get recocgnized by computer. Is my gpu dead or is there a catch somewhere and I can fix it?

Solution
Sorry for the obvious but always good to run down the list as I've made these mistakes enough times to double check.
  • Do you have the monitor directly plugged into the back of the video card (not the motherboard)?
  • the PCIe power is plugged into the videocard?
  • Card is fully seated, clicked in?
  • bios setting is set to auto or discrete graphics card
  • using the topmost pcie (the x16 one) slot on your motherboard?
  • monitor set to the correct output source (i.e. HDMI, DPI etc.).

Those are some troubleshooting tips off the top of my head. If those didn't work, maybe try a power flush, unplug PC from the wall outlet and press the power button on the PC while unplugged several times, wait a couple minutes, plug back...

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
Sorry for the obvious but always good to run down the list as I've made these mistakes enough times to double check.
  • Do you have the monitor directly plugged into the back of the video card (not the motherboard)?

Those are some troubleshooting tips off the top of my head. If those didn't work, maybe try a power flush, unplug PC from the wall outlet and press the power button on the PC while unplugged several times, wait a couple minutes, plug back power and turn on.

Solution
Jan 25, 2021
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
System specs are:
Processor: i76700 3,4GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
GPU: Msi GTX 1060 3Gb
PSU: ECO Series GPE-600S
RAM: 2xCrucial 8Gb DDR4-2400 UDIMM
HDD: WDC WD81PURZ-85LWMY0
SSD: WDS120G1G0A

Computer is an ex-server so if that is the problem but also my old ATI Radeon HD 5770 1Gb runs normally but the GTX didnt.

Jan 25, 2021
Those are some troubleshooting tips off the top of my head. If those didn't work, maybe try a power flush, unplug PC from the wall outlet and press the power button on the PC while unplugged several times, wait a couple minutes, plug back power and turn on.
Thanks for the tip I will try to set the bios to this but I dont know why does my old GPU run good on it now.