MSI GTX 1070 fire

Nov 13, 2018
Hi,

Yesterday while playing destiny 2 my computer randomly shut off and would not reboot. I left it off power for a few min and checked connections and then attempted to start it with the side panel off and I heard, smelt, and saw a small flame shoot out from under the heat sink on the card. I shut off the computer and disconnected all power. The computer boots fine without the card installed so it doesn’t appear it caused any other damage. I have an EVGA G2 1000 PSU that’s only a little over a year old so I don’t think that is the issue.

What could cause something like this? The 1070 was purchased 7/2016 so it appears it is out of warrenty as well... What part of the board is this? Trying to rule it down to a bad card and don’t want to worry about the rest of my system. Thanks for any help!

iRVspf

https://ibb.co/iRVspf

Edit: doing this from my phone and having a hard time getting the pic to show, link above.

Solution
"What could cause something like this?"

I think what probably caused it is a short or a failed component in the card. It's not unheard of.

One thing I'd do is check the voltages of the PSU just to make sure they are OK.

Other than that....I'd be buying a new card.

If your system boots and acts OK.....I think there's a good chance that the card just took itself out.
"What could cause something like this?"

I think what probably caused it is a short or a failed component in the card. It's not unheard of.

One thing I'd do is check the voltages of the PSU just to make sure they are OK.

Other than that....I'd be buying a new card.

If your system boots and acts OK.....I think there's a good chance that the card just took itself out.

Solution