MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X High Pitched Buzzing

TheMightyChris901

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I got my 1070 today and I have noticed a high pitched buzzing noise when playing games under high loads. I don't think its coil whine because its a constant buzz not a fluctuating one with different frame rates. If I put my ear to the top of the PC and put my fingers on alt tab, the moment I alt tab the buzz stops. Any Ideas what it could be?

P.S. I don't hear it unless I take my headphones off and nearly touch my PC with my ear so its not a huge deal and the cooler is certainly quieter than my reference 970 because I can't even hear it. But I am curious to see if anyone knows what it is. Thanks

Solution
The sound disappearing the moment you alt-tab makes me pretty sure that it's coil whine. If it were the fans vibrating or something, it would continue for a bit after you alt-tab as the fans need time to slow down when the GPU temperature drops. Coil whine isn't necessarily a fault, unless it really bugs you because it is unusually loud, but as you mentioned you can only hear it when very close to your PC so all should be fine :)
The sound disappearing the moment you alt-tab makes me pretty sure that it's coil whine. If it were the fans vibrating or something, it would continue for a bit after you alt-tab as the fans need time to slow down when the GPU temperature drops. Coil whine isn't necessarily a fault, unless it really bugs you because it is unusually loud, but as you mentioned you can only hear it when very close to your PC so all should be fine :)

Solution

Kleever

Reputable
May 30, 2015
It's definitely coil whine, if you alt tab out of the game and it stops that pretty much confirms it. The MSI Gaming X fans turn on at 60 degrees Celsius, so an easy way to test it is let the fans turn off, immediately start a game that stresses your GPU or produces the noise, if the noise immediately begins, then it's coil whine. I actually have the same GPU and have slight coil whine under load.