MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X 11GB - Watercooled

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Hello, I have came to look advice, Does anyone have any information regarding this GPU?

I have the opportunity to pick one up for £600 on Saturday, and whilst adding it into pcpartpicker doesn't throw up any issues with my build, I'd be grateful if someone could look it over and double check I am not making a mistake.

Ignore the BenQ monitor, I have a additional monitor i plan on using.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HBb9xY

Solution

The side fan will be on the side panel itself but it will not fit on as it will push against the GPU...

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

There are no compatibility issues at all with that config. be sure to add a good CPU cooler to that list however as the 5820k does not come with a stock cooler (simply because Intel know that it will not cool that CPU effectively)

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

As i am uneducated in the world of pc building, this system was already purchased, and i am told the CPU has a liquid cooler, Is their anyway I am able to check which one is added without pulling wires out?

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

I'm a little confused, do you already have the system with you now? Who told you the CPU comes with a cooler. Please give me information on if you have the build with you now.

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

i have it all minus the gpu

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Ok but you obviously are not using it now due to there being no on board GPU on that CPU. That CPU is an enthusiast grade CPU and therefore would not benefit from a stock cooler. That is why Intel does not provide one, did you build this system yourself or did you pick the parts out and ask someone to build it? Or is everything still in the box? The CPU should have no cooler at all so im not sure where you have heard that it comes with a water cooler.

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

Hmmm, I am sure i was told the CPU is watercooled I could me mistaken, I am using itn ow, but the graphics card is rubbish its a 750 i bel8ieve

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Okay so you are using a dedicated GTX 750. Yes that card is very budget and a very uncommon pairing with that CPU haha. That CPU does not come with a water cooler unless you installed it yourself or someone else did it for you. A simple way to check is to simply open up the case and if there is a big metal heatsink (metal chunk with slices in it) with a fan sitting on it then that is aircooled. If it has a small circle or square block that is a little bigger than the CPU itself with pipes coming from it then it is water cooled. A picture of the inside of your PC would be best :)

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Will provide picture shortly, Yes, That's why I am looking to get the 1080ti, I don't think the CPU will throttle the performance, leaving me just to get a extra stick of RAM then and that should be it for a year or two?

I am almost sure their is pipes, but will try and get a picture, It may of been installed by the previous owner, as I am almost 100% sure i was told it had was liquid cooled CPU,

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

Here is a picture of the computer system, I need to give it a good clean, Am i right in thinking I will be best purchasing some Air Duster and spraying that around the inside of the system in a controlled manor to best do this?

d26b1df2ef1b5d061246ecc6268a36cf

https://gyazo.com/d26b1df2ef1b5d061246ecc6268a36cf

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Yes thats a corsair AIO watercooler. In terms of cleaning if you have a leaf blower handy then that will be fine to use just makes sure the PC is not connected to the mains. If you have heard a rumour of leaf blowers causing damage then that is a myth and is simply false and spreads incorrect info among the PC community. It has been tested that it is safe :) If you want to use compressed air then that is also another good method of cleaning your PC. Just be sure to always keep the can level and never turn it on its side or bottom as the liquid will come out and spray all over your components and that would be bad haha. Avoid blowing on your components as you can often blow moisture over your components which could cause harm.

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

That's great, Thank you for that information, No leaf blower present :(

As for the GPU in question, will it fit? if so, where in the system does it go? I was hoping to research online where it goes in tyhe system and trying to add it in myself.. If possible can you highlight the area in paint or something?

Thank you so much for your help

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Yes it will fit, I checked the GPU size limits of that case and compared it to the size of the GPU and there is more than enough space. You may need to remove the back fan if you have one installed in order to install the GPU's water cooling radiator but thats not hard. As for where to install it, you simply take the old GTX 750 GPU that is installed currently and replace it with your shiny new GTX 1080 TI :)

To take the old GPU out there will be one or two screws on the left hand side of the bracket which will need to be taken out. Then you will need to reach your hand to the back of bottom of the GPU to push down a small latch which will allow the GPU to be pulled out. Do not pull the GPU out without pushing this latch down first as you will likely completely break the slot itself. To install you simply slot the new GPU in that slot and then screw the radiator to the back fan slot of the case and then put the two screws back on the left hand side bracket so that the GPU is secure when in place.

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

Thank you, so the CPU liquid cooler won't get in the way of the GPU#s water cooler? I don't believe their are any fans in the system at all? Atleast not that I can see, and I am not even sure as to where the 750 is if I am honest, Id i switch my system off I am okay to try and remove the 750 and readd it back in correct? to get a little bit of practice in, or will this risk damage to the system

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

I ahve just noticed your CPU water cooler is a 120mm cooler which is installed to the back...this means you cannot install teh GPU cooler to the back, im not entirely sure if the GPU's radiator will fit on the top

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

I have just had a look at the top of the case and their is no way in which you can screw things in, I believe their just air vents to allow air in / out the system., their is however, a area at the bottom of the system which looks like it is of similar size to the back inwhich the liquid cooler seems to be if I am not mistaken?

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
This was a complete oversight from my end and I'm shocked I didn't spot this straight away. At this point your options are to buy a standard air cooled 1080ti or remove your CPU's water cooler radiator and buy a decent CPU air cooler and proceed to buy the GPU in question.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Yes i see where you mean, according to the manufacturers website the case can fit one 120mm fan at the bottom. You will need to check the dimension of the GPU's radiator to make sure it will fit in that space. If so you are golden.

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

At the bottom of the system their is this, Sorry for the awful mess / disgusting dust and dirt of the system this is the first time I have had the system open as never wished to ruin any part of it.

Is it possible to install the radiator of the GPU here?

https://i.gyazo.com/ce88946ff2d2d6791e84d4f15d65e346.png

Or is this area not suitable? / too small and is made for just a normal air fan?

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
I am truly disgusted by the amount of dirt and dust in the system, I will defiently provide a deep and good clean before installing any GPU i do purchase, sorry for the awful evil eye-sores

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Just by looking at the space it does not look like there is nearly enough space to accomodate the GPU radiator, just not enough space next to the power supply :(

Martin Lomax

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

Understood, So I am unfortunately best off not picking this card up, and instead purchasing a air cooled card for the time being, and possible upgrading the case at a later date to provide more room, it says on the website about a side fan, area but I am unable to find it whilst looking inside the system, their is a front fan, but thiis is slotted very close to the ssd/ hd bays

TRENDING THREADS