MSI GTX 770 Lighting Pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhowe005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hard to get excited about a card with 2gb of memory. Even with the 680's why are all the 4gb cards so blah looking and all the nice looking ones are only 2gb.

EzioAs

Distinguished
So, GTX x70 has a lightning version nowadays? I thought that was only reserved for GTX x80 GPU. Although since the GTX 770 is the GTX 680, maybe they just flashed it.
I'm slightly disappointed that we won't see new Twin Frozr design with upcoming cards though.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Honestly toms, can you please at least spell-check article headline text
and links from the home page? :D It's Lightning, not Lighting.

Ian.

PS. I don't think I'll bother with any of these cards until NVIDIA starts
using 3GB+ RAM by default. Either that or I'd just get a 4GB model.
AMD does have an advantage here.

G

where's the 780 and 3-5 gb version for my 2560 x 1600 display Msi?

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Assuming the chip on the back of the GPU is for additional VRM phases like the 680 Lightning was then this should be a monster overclocker. The GTX Titan is heavily limited in overclocking ability due to it's low number of VRM phases and the way GPU Boost 2.0 handles voltage to overclock the core. Additional VRM phases should smooth out voltage ripple under heavy load and allow this to overclock very well. I can't wait to see this and the 780 Lightning in benchmarks against the GTX Titan.

more pins mean nothing regarding if it will become a space heater or not. a rerference card will heat up your room just as well

sonic123

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Does this means (excuse my great ignorance) that a launch time tomorrow of the GTX 780, even tough they don't say anything in their sites, companies like EVGA, ASUS, MSI and the like actually that card GTX 780 ready to be sold?

Lazarusrizing

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Umm... I happen to have built my computer around an MSI GTX 680 Lightning, so I am somewhat familiar with the card and I can honestly say that there is absolutely no visual difference between this and my 680 Lightning. So really the only thing that says that this is a 770 is that they said it was. And since the card number is blurred out I have my doubts about this really being a 770.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

And your list of games that actually need 4GB over 2 GB are.....? That's what I thought.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli,3429.html

Unless you're gaming at ultra in 5760x1080, you really don't need more than 2 GB.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
bemused_fred writes:
> And your list of games that actually need 4GB over 2 GB are.....?

For me, Skyrim fully modded, and when I get my new 2560 monitor, Crysis2 aswell I expect.

Just because *you* don't need it doesn't mean it's not relevant for others.

My point is simply that AMD's use of 3GB gives a nice buffer for some time at the detail
levels now in vogue, whereas NVIDIA's 2GB cards are already on the edge or just not
good enough in many cases.

> Unless you're gaming at ultra in 5760x1080, you really don't need more than 2 GB.

Ah, so an article says it, so it must be true. The whole modding scene of games like
Skyrim completely blows away many generic article conclusions. The article is very
useful, but it doesn't paint the full picture. Improving the visual look of games via
mods is extremely common these days, which naturally increases the VRAM loading
even when not dealing with multiple displays. I like high-res texture packs, better
looking scenery, etc., and I like to max out the detail, draw distance & AA, so yes
indeed, for my next GPU upgrade I want more than 2GB. If you don't, fine, but
claiming others don't just because you agree with an article analysis of baseline game
performance is misleading.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.