Question MSI GxT 3090 low Usage

Jan 19, 2021
Low GPU usage during games. significantly lower FPS than test with similar specs ive seen online.
GPU usage is 10% and lower. CPU usage usually around 30. both those numbers are in game.
running Nvidia driver 461.09
was getting higher/more consistent FPS with my old 2080S.

also ran into some weird bios issues trying to fix the low gpu usage.
tried changing PCIe Speed from auto to gen3, and changed ram speed from auto to 3200.
the ram change made games crash, and the PCIe change made usage worse.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38716061

UserBenchmarks: Game 222%, Desk 97%, Work 210%
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 99.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 - 232.2%
SSD: Seagate BarraCuda SSD ZA1000CM10002 1TB - 101.7%
SSD: Seagate FireCuda 510 SSD ZP500GM30001 500GB - 106.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 106.5%
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB - 74.3%
MBD: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)

Jan 20, 2021
Have you tried installing, or uninstalling and reinstalling drivers?
I have the same problem facing my graphics cards, this issue as of my experience happens due to bad drivers or bad/defective graphics card, keep an eye on graphics card thermal throttling or overheating SSD/HHD (whichever has the game you are playing) if none of these work.

Jan 19, 2021
Also, does anyone have any reasoning why I would be crushing bench marks(which I would assume is using more gpu horsepower to get those scores) but still underperforming in games?

Jan 19, 2021
Have you tried installing, or uninstalling and reinstalling drivers?
I have the same problem facing my graphics cards, this issue as of my experience happens due to bad drivers or bad/defective graphics card, keep an eye on graphics card thermal throttling or overheating SSD/HHD (whichever has the game you are playing) if none of these work.
I would imagine the gpu is fine or else I wouldn’t be getting those scores on a benchmark right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also, does anyone have any reasoning why I would be crushing bench marks(which I would assume is using more gpu horsepower to get those scores) but still underperforming in games?
Game programming =! Benchmark programming [=! means 'does not equal']

The fact that you can run benchmarks without issue just points more towards things like the following, and not the card itself.
-software and drivers
-the game engine

It's not likely a hardware issue, but the only things that stand out in that field are:
1)You didn't enable XMP for the memory. It should help, but it's not going to be a miracle fix. But you said it was broken...
Well, 4 sticks is harder to run than 2. It probably needs more voltage to run; instead of 1.35v to Channels AB, CD, try 1.38v.

2)Some more recent games are 'too fast' for HDDs if they are stored on them. I'm not entirely sure how you'd confirm it - hwinfo may be more reliable for that compared to Task Manager's Disk Usage.

Jan 19, 2021
Game programming =! Benchmark programming [=! means 'does not equal']

The fact that you can run benchmarks without issue just points more towards things like the following, and not the card itself.
-software and drivers
-the game engine

It's not likely a hardware issue, but the only things that stand out in that field are:
1)You didn't enable XMP for the memory. It should help, but it's not going to be a miracle fix. But you said it was broken...
Well, 4 sticks is harder to run than 2. It probably needs more voltage to run; instead of 1.35v to Channels AB, CD, try 1.38v.

2)Some more recent games are 'too fast' for HDDs if they are stored on them. I'm not entirely sure how you'd confirm it - hwinfo may be more reliable for that compared to Task Manager's Disk Usage.
I switch over to xmp and nothing changed except my psi is buzzing now