Question MSI H61M-E23 (G3) Not working with GPU

Apr 24, 2019
Hello,

I have a weird problem with this motherboard. It will only show screen on the Onboard graphics. If i plug in a GPU in PCI-E 16x slot it will not show any screen. I have tried the GPU in a different system and it works perfectly. I even tried the PCI-E 1x slots with a riser but no success at all. I tried swapping ram but that did not work eighter. It's also not the PSU cause it works fine with a different motherboard+gpu combo. If it boots from Onboard graphics i can hear a beep on the motherboard and then shows screen. But when the GPU is connected i hear no beep at all. If somebody could help me with this problem that would be appreciated :)

Greetings, Kevin.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In your BIOS, what device is selected as your primary graphics/video device?

When you install either GPU into the motherboard, are you also connecting your display directly to the GPU? What cable type (HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA) are you using to connect to your display?

Apr 24, 2019
In your BIOS, what device is selected as your primary graphics/video device?

When you install either GPU into the motherboard, are you also connecting your display directly to the GPU? What cable type (HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA) are you using to connect to your display?

The "Initiate Graphics Adapter" is on "PEG" there is also a option for "IGD".
There is also a "PCI Subsystem Settings" menu, wich say PCIE GEN3 and its enabled @ 32 PCI Bus Clocks.

So far i cannot find anything else that has to do with Graphics.

I have plugged a HDMI in the Graphics card and no screen, also in onboard and no screen. But if it boots i need to hear a beep wich i dont hear with the gpu installed.

With H61 chipsets , make sure the BIOS is the most recent.

I'm gonna try to install windows now via Onboard graphics and try to update the bios to version to 12.3 (I'm on 12 now) cause i cannot update via bios cause there is only a exe file on the site: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H61ME23_G3 .

Apr 24, 2019
Okay guys. I just tried another 7950 and that one did work. I don't know why this one does work and the other one does not. But the problem has been solved kind of.