[SOLVED] MSI H81M PRO-VD different bios

phil0886

Honorable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi!

Recently bought this motherboard to build a new PC and i noticed the bios brand is Viglen not MSI. Ive never come accross this before where a bios is a different brand to the board itsself. TBH im not overly bothered providing it works ok but will i be able to download the latest Msi chipset drivers etc?

Solution
Using the wrong BIOS for the right board can brick it beyond recovery, so you should be bothered.

So long as you've sourced the BIOS from their support site, here, you should be fine. Also, if you have a number of BIOS updates to go through to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest, don't just jump to the latest version. Take note of any MEI drivers that need installing in between BIOS updates.

Lutfij

Titan
Using the wrong BIOS for the right board can brick it beyond recovery, so you should be bothered.

So long as you've sourced the BIOS from their support site, here, you should be fine. Also, if you have a number of BIOS updates to go through to the latest, gradually work your way to the latest, don't just jump to the latest version. Take note of any MEI drivers that need installing in between BIOS updates.

Solution

phil0886

Honorable
Jul 29, 2015
Well the viglen bios is whats been used on the board before so must work ok? Ive been into the bios and everything seems fine and detected etc. Would you still reccomend i flash it then to the msi one? I think i can do it with a usb in the bios using M flash utility it has.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well the viglen bios is whats been used on the board before so must work ok? Ive been into the bios and everything seems fine and detected etc. Would you still reccomend i flash it then to the msi one? I think i can do it with a usb in the bios using M flash utility it has.
You will get different answers to that question depending on who answers.

Mine is if everything is working fine then it's not broke don't fix it.

"Beyond recovery" is a bit too harsh. It is recoverable if it is possible to get original BIOS dump or dump it from working motherboard of same model and hardware revision. Then soldering out serial flash memory chip with wrong/broken BIOS, flashing it with good/working BIOS and flashed chip soldering back into motherboard. Plus all tools required for that. Normally may be done in repair service and from how hard will be possible to get working BIOS and motherboard type, will cost something like 70-150$. Don't broke the BIOS beyond repair. Then new motherboard probably will cost less than getting the old one back on track.