[SOLVED] MSI H87-G41 problems

Pierino

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi guys,
It's years now that I have this PC I have assembled which is a crap !! :D I am not using it that often since it is in my mom house but it is always a pain to use it. The sytuation is always the same very slow to boot and very slow to use (I am not pretending to play on this but it is very slow even to open folder explorer).
I am still guessing it s a motherboard issue since it is taking a lot of time even before starting to boot the OS but cannot find the root cause. It might be a problem on other componets but it seems CPU, GPU, RAM and HD are ok.

Updated system specs:
Specs

Reinstalling OS is not having any effects.
I am sharing with you also a video of the booting so you can feel the pain as well :p
video

Do you have idea of how to further investigate? I do not like the idea of throwing everything away :D
Would be a try to buy another HD, maybe an SSD ?
Thank you to all would like to help me.
Pierino

Solution
Yes i have already tried removing GPU , the mobo run for a second and then goes down and it loops as in the video I shared
If you can't get into the bios your stuck.
Use the igp and one stick of ram.
Unplug all disk.
Test.

Last gasp.
Remove the bios bat and write down the number.
Set the bat aside.
Go to the store and buy a new one.
Install new bat.
Hi guys,
It's years now that I have this PC I have assembled which is a crap !! :D I am not using it that often since it is in my mom house but it is always a pain to use it. The sytuation is always the same very slow to boot and very slow to use (I am not pretending to play on this but it is very slow even to open folder explorer).
I am still guessing it s a motherboard issue since it is taking a lot of time even before starting to boot the OS but cannot find the root cause. It might be a problem on other componets but it seems CPU, GPU, RAM and HD are ok.

Updated system specs:
Specs

I am sharing with you also a video of the booting so you can feel the pain as well :p
video

Do you have idea of how to further investigate? I do not like the idea of throwing everything away :D
Pierino
hello pierino, Can you try the following

go into the bios and load "optimized defaults"
replace your mobo battery
update your bios

source a different ssd, attach it as the sole drive to your pc, and reinstall windows on it, see if the issue persists

Let us know :)

Hi guys,

Updated system specs:
Specs

video

Pierino
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot of the results.

As has been mentioned if the pc is quite old it might not be a bad idea to replace the bios battery.
While your inside the machine give it a good clean out.
Can of air and a small brush pay attention to the heat sinks and fans....extra clean.
Give the psu a few shots of air from both directions,

Pierino

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi Bob.B and Quanticriver
Thanks for the suggestions. in order :

• Bios update--> I have already checked and it is updated to latest available version 3.9
  • replace your mobo battery --> I have no idea how to do that :D. I will search how to do that. Consider that this PC always had those issue since the beginning I have assembled it.
  • go into the bios and load "optimized defaults" --> OK
  • source a different ssd --> ordered yesterday a new ssd, It should arrive in few days
  • Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot of the results. --> here

Thank you.
Pierino

Reactions: Quanticriver
Hi Bob.B and Quanticriver
Thanks for the suggestions. in order :

• Bios update--> I have already checked and it is updated to latest available version 3.9
  • replace your mobo battery --> I have no idea how to do that :D. I will search how to do that. Consider that this PC always had those issue since the beginning I have assembled it.
  • go into the bios and load "optimized defaults" --> OK
  • source a different ssd --> ordered yesterday a new ssd, It should arrive in few days
  • Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot of the results. --> here
Thank you.
Pierino
CDI does not show the hdd to have a problem.
Run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

Pierino

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi guys,
Some updates:
  • Look in the bios for xmp and enable it --> ok, I have enabled it
  • You seem to have the latest bios what about the chipset driver and ME driver? --> cannot find which is the actual final version, I have 9.0.2.1345
  • replace your mobo battery -->done
I have also tried with an ssd, of course the usage itself is improved but still same issues when booting the machine. it takes 5 minutes throwing this "FW status recovery error" on MSI motherboard logo.
@Bob.B . what does UBM reboot mean ?

I am quite frustrated with this mobo .... I am thinking just to buy a new one. Any idea on possible alternatives according to my HW ?
Thank you for the help.

Hi guys,
Some updates:
  • Look in the bios for xmp and enable it --> ok, I have enabled it
  • You seem to have the latest bios what about the chipset driver and ME driver? --> cannot find which is the actual final version, I have 9.0.2.1345
  • replace your mobo battery -->done
I have also tried with an ssd, of course the usage itself is improved but still same issues when booting the machine. it takes 5 minutes throwing this "FW status recovery error" on MSI motherboard logo.
@Bob.B . what does UBM reboot mean ?

I am quite frustrated with this mobo .... I am thinking just to buy a new one. Any idea on possible alternatives according to my HW ?
Thank you for the help.
It means reboot the machine.
Let it sit for 5 mins.
Run userbenchmark and post a link to the results.

Yes i have already tried removing GPU , the mobo run for a second and then goes down and it loops as in the video I shared
If you can't get into the bios your stuck.
Use the igp and one stick of ram.
Unplug all disk.
Test.

Last gasp.
Remove the bios bat and write down the number.
Set the bat aside.
Go to the store and buy a new one.
Install new bat.

Solution

Pierino

Honorable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi @Bob.B
Thank you very much for the support, unfortunately non of the steps worked. I decided to buy a new motherboard (this one is working fine :D)
To summarize to close the thread:

• In my opinion, the motherboard most probably was kind of faulty since the very beginning since it alwasy had this "FW status error recovery" and has always been very slow to arrive to the OS booting steps. Removing the power cable an restarting the system was the only way to a have a decent boot time. I have never managed so in conclusion to fix this issue.
  • On the other hand, the fact the the PC was overall quite slow was 100% due to bad HD. Even now with new mobo, new CPU and new RAM if I boot on hold HD is solw as much as before :). On ssd is a lightning :D

Thanks again for supporting.
Ciao

Reactions: Quanticriver