News MSI Introduces World's First ATX 3.0 PSU, Ready for 2,600W Power Spikes

D

Deleted member 362816

If they avoided speculation on price can't wait to see what these are going to run :oops:

Gamer Nexus did a great job with this report: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

It's something that's cropped it's head up many times in recent weeks for RTX high end purchasers on Tom's.

Although the recently announced down grade in power usage (RTX4070 @285w, and 4080 @320w)is good for most system builders/gamers with systems at that level, I'd expect the 4090/ti/Titan might well make good use of this PSU! 2600w!!! Wow.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

tummybunny

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO BUY THIS AND HOW MUCH WILL IT COST!?

I'm sick of companies 'announcing' or 'introducing' vapourware months and months before anything happens. When will this be available to buy from a store?

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
A shame ATX 12VO didn't become ATX 3.0. The few watts of legacy voltages could be provided by a plug-in adapter for older motherboards still using the 24-pin ATX connector (12VO boards can use a simple passive adapter), and everyone else could omit that bulky carbuncle entirely.
Switching to 48V only operation would have been even nicer (thinner cables due to reduced current, more efficient PSUs, etc), but more of a compatibility break requiring mobo and GPU VRM circuitry to come in two different revisions.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Everybody expects to draw from socket 2600W, no, it does not work like that, it is a 1300W PSU with very very big Capacitors which can handle a spike of 2600W but the extra power is supported by capacitors and of course by the mosfets too, not the socket, the socket has to stand up for only 1300W.
"only" 1300W

My microwave is 1200W

If I could redirect all that heat to at least cook food, that would be great

(your point is valid, though)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
"only" 1300W

My microwave is 1200W

If I could redirect all that heat to at least cook food, that would be great

(your point is valid, though)
Computers, in general, are space heaters that incidentally allow rapid computation. Remember the comments, when the Pentium came out, about its heat dissipation being similar to a toaster? My, we've come a long way...

BTW, a 15A 120VAC circuit is designed for 12A continuous (80% of peak). In round numbers, that's 1.4 kw. That's the safe limit for something that is the only load on a entire standard US plug circuit. Usually, there are a few other loads, like desk lamps, clocks, etc., so you have less than 1.4kw available to burn. 8A (just under 1kw) is usually considered safe for a typical 120VAC US circuit. Unless you want to install a dedicated circuit or 2 for your computer, as some audiophiles do for their music rooms. Do a dedicated 20A circuit and you can get a bit more: 16A, good for 1.9kw.

According to my UPS' monitoring software, my desktop currently uses between 60-130W for both the computer and the monitor. So I don't really have a dog in this hunt.

Edit: amusing anecdote - back in the Radio Shack Model 1 days, the major heat dissipation issue was the RAM chips, not the Z80 CPU. And, of course, the brute-force voltage regulator. The service manual for the computer (it had a complete manual, with schematics, board layout, parts list, and ROM API, available at retail) noted that one should not use a common method for checking whether a RAM chip was working - touching it - unless one wanted the manufacturer's logo burned into one's fingertip...

Last edited:

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Computers, in general, are space heaters that incidentally allow rapid computation. Remember the comments, when the Pentium came out, about its heat dissipation being similar to a toaster? My, we've come a long way...

BTW, a 15A 120VAC circuit is designed for 12A continuous (80% of peak). In round numbers, that's 1.4 kw. That's the safe limit for something that is the only load on a entire standard US plug circuit. Usually, there are a few other loads, like desk lamps, clocks, etc., so you have less than 1.4kw available to burn. 8A (just under 1kw) is usually considered safe for a typical 120VAC US circuit. Unless you want to install a dedicated circuit or 2 for your computer, as some audiophiles do for their music rooms. Do a dedicated 20A circuit and you can get a bit more: 16A, good for 1.9kw.

According to my UPS' monitoring software, my desktop currently uses between 60-130W for both the computer and the monitor. So I don't really have a dog in this hunt.
So it means that, if someone is playing with an Intel/Nvidia top-of-the-line in the living room and wants to warm up some lasagna, the power can go off? That's the ridiculous of power use from these new parts.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
So it means that, if someone is playing with an Intel/Nvidia top-of-the-line in the living room and wants to warm up some lasagna, the power can go off? That's the ridiculous of power use from these new parts.
If the computer and the microwave are on the same circuit, possibly. Kitchens and living rooms are usually on separate circuits, though, so it's unlikely. Now, if you have a plasma TV on the other plug in the living room...

demonicus

Commendable
Dec 7, 2020
i just dont think i could risk plugging that into my wall in all honesty it be like plugging in a new hot tub into a normal outlet not a good idea lol u usually need a upgraded panel of some sorts