[SOLVED] MSI laptop dropping frames

Dec 10, 2022
MSI GP66 Leopard 10UH
RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
i7-10870H
16gb 3200mhz
1tb nvme

Across multiple games ive noticed my frames drop to different numbers depending on the game
Rainbow Six : Normal is around 200-240, but it will randomly drop down to 90-100, and wont fix until I alt tab, drops happen every few seconds and alt tabbing I have to do multiple times most of the time
Rocket League : Normal is 300-600, randomly will drop to 60-100 same alt tabbing fix, drops happen once every few minutes
Cold war : Normal is 90-120, frame drops often happen but usually dont have to alt tab to fix
Warzone 2.0 : Drops happen all the time, alt tabbing rarely fixes the issue

My drivers are updated, im running the latest version of windows 10, ambient temp is 68f, thermal paste and pads are the original from the factory (will replace if it guarantees a fix), I have cooler boost on, cpu runs a peak of 94c, gpu peaks at 88c

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers off your platform, then manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Changing the thermal paste and pads(for a higher quality aftermarket paste and pads) are a good way to reduce temps, while undervolting can also help. While you're there, you should also see if your cooling vents/fin stacks are clogged with dirt or debris.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Following that, use DDU to remove all GPU drivers off your platform, then manually reinstall the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Changing the thermal paste and pads(for a higher quality aftermarket paste and pads) are a good way to reduce temps, while undervolting can also help. While you're there, you should also see if your cooling vents/fin stacks are clogged with dirt or debris.

Solution