MSI Laptop upgrade

Feb 9, 2019
Hello guys,

First of all, thanks for your time and knowledge I really appreciate it.

In 3 months I'm traveling to United States and I as I do every year I would like to upgrade or change my laptop to a new model. What I usually do is change a piece of my laptop (HDD to SSD) or something like that. But I'm not sure about what I should do this year. Why the upgrade? Because I can sell my current laptop in my country for the same price that a new laptop costs, so I take that opportunity every time I travel. Let me explain you the options:

- Current Laptop: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62MVR-7RG-Apache-Pro/Specification

32GB RAM
256 GB SSD (M.2 SSD)
1TB HDD (SATA)
GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
7th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Jack port broken (it stop working a few months ago, can't fix it on my country)

Options:

1) Upgrade the 1TB HDD to a SATA SSD of 1 or 2TB: I usually have my favorite games on the SSD but I usually use a lot the laptop with VMWare and a lot of virtual machines that are on the HDD and I can notice how this hard drive is making a bottleneck in the performace when I use the Virtual Machines.

2) Buy the new thin model GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF: I like this option because I would go to a thin (ultrabook) model and I will be also improving the Inten processor to a 8th generation. However I will still having a HDD of 1 TB that creates a bottleneck. One of my biggest concern is temperature, since this model is extremely thin I'm scared that this notebook has lower performance than my current laptop. What do you think about this? For this case I will keep having 32GB RAM and a jack port that works.

3) A combination of both, upgrading to the new model with a big SSD

I know that price should go down when NVIDIA release the new laptops with 20XX video card series.

To sum up:

Option too will reduce the overall performance for being thinner than my current laptop?

Which option do you recommend me to take? Maybe ?

I forgot to mention that the budget is around 1800 USD.

Thanks for everything!

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
In my opinion I would just keep the laptop that you have now and upgrade the HDD to an SSD, your laptop seems pretty decent to be honest and although the jack port is broken there isn't really any need to upgrade...

Are you having issues running games on the laptop at good FPS?

Also you can purchase a USB audio adapter to fix the broken jack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P4T51DRZJSA660FKGRC1

Plus i'm not even sure if the laptop you are looking to buy even has any space for a second hard drive.

Feb 9, 2019
Thanks for the answer guys.

No, I'm analyzing the possibility to upgrade to jump to a newer model, since I don't want mine to get old, especially here in Argentina. We don't have access to this kind of notebooks without paying tons of money.

I would just purchase the model that comes with 1TB or 2TB SSD, and have only one SSD instead of two.

Thanks, the reason why I was questioning my self to upgrade is the one I mention above. Buy a newer model so I can stay with one of the "latest" models and not one of 2016.

What do you both think about my concern related to the performance due to the temperature? I couldn't find a good benchmark comparison between these two models to see if the ultra model has lower performance due to the temperature.

Thanks again! :)