[SOLVED] MSI made a mistake with my RMA'd motherboard.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
I recently RMA'd my Tomahawk Max. It's been about 3 weeks since I shipped it (I packed it 2 weeks before that too). The post said they made a mistake with the shipping but I was wondering how the RMA would work. Would they be able to send me a replacement?

Solution
Sorry lol. So basically I RMA'd my motherboard because the top PCIe slot wasn't working. I sent it back but then the post made a mistake so I had to wait a couple weeks extra for the motherboard to even arrive at the shop I bought it from. I was wondering how the RMA would work, would they send me a new mobo once they got my broken one, or would I have to wait for them to repair it and send me it back. Hopefully this clarifies everything a little bit.
Most of the time they (factory) replaces MB but it seems that you are now dealing with that shop and MSI has nothing to do with you. If shop approves exchange they will have to deal with MSI. Most large manufacturers just tell shop to destroy it and get reimbursed for it. Too...

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
What mistake did the post make?

Had MSI agreed to an RMA?

Have you contacted MSI?

More information needed.
Sorry for the lack of information. 1st, yes they have. Second, I have. I was told to contact the shop I bought it from. I was just wondering how this RMA thing worked. Do I have to wait for them to repair my mobo or do they take it and send me a new one.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
What mistake? Again, you're asking for advice on a mistake you haven't detailed. And then apologized for the lack of information but didn't give the information!
Sorry lol. So basically I RMA'd my motherboard because the top PCIe slot wasn't working. I sent it back but then the post made a mistake so I had to wait a couple weeks extra for the motherboard to even arrive at the shop I bought it from. I was wondering how the RMA would work, would they send me a new mobo once they got my broken one, or would I have to wait for them to repair it and send me it back. Hopefully this clarifies everything a little bit.

Most of the time they (factory) replaces MB but it seems that you are now dealing with that shop and MSI has nothing to do with you. If shop approves exchange they will have to deal with MSI. Most large manufacturers just tell shop to destroy it and get reimbursed for it. Too costly to send back to factory.

Solution

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Most of the time they (factory) replaces MB but it seems that you are now dealing with that shop and MSI has nothing to do with you. If shop approves exchange they will have to deal with MSI. Most large manufacturers just tell shop to destroy it and get reimbursed for it. Too costly to send back to factory.
Thank you for the help, appreciate it! Do you know how long it takes for me to get the mobo back/a new one normally by any chance? Also, why do they get reimbursed for destroying it, do the mobos get recycled? Thanks again.

Thank you for the help, appreciate it! Do you know how long it takes for me to get the mobo back/a new one normally by any chance? Also, why do they get reimbursed for destroying it, do the mobos get recycled? Thanks again.
I don't know where you are but chain goes like this, Manufacturer to wholesaler/dealer to a store or store chain and than to individual customer, Unless you send it back to manufacturer directly you are dealing with store and it may send it back up the same chain. If you have warranty list there should be an address who to send it to in case of warranty claim.
PS: "destroying" doesn't preclude recycling just enough not to be salable as good product. Store or whomever is dealing with it may be required to send a sticker or whatever or just be trusted for reimbursement. All depends ob business model of all involved.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
I don't know where you are but chain goes like this, Manufacturer to wholesaler/dealer to a store or store chain and than to individual customer, Unless you send it back to manufacturer directly you are dealing with store and it may send it back up the same chain. If you have warranty list there should be an address who to send it to in case of warranty claim.
PS: "destroying" doesn't preclude recycling just enough not to be salable as good product. Store or whomever is dealing with it may be required to send a sticker or whatever or just be trusted for reimbursement. All depends ob business model of all involved.
Okay now I understand. Thank you very much for the help, I've learnt something new!