Question MSI MAG 850GL clicking sound

Jun 10, 2024
7700x ( undervolted, overclocked was done in bios, no idea how much power it uses AMD adrenaline is bugged/not showing power draw )
7900 gre nitro+ ( oc, die 2863, memory 2766 with fast timings on, uses 300-325 watts underload
64gbs g.skill neo trident 6400mhz

( the psu shouldn't be pulling more than 650 watts tops )

after turning on my pc the psu starts clicking ( ima 99% sure its the fan ) is it safe to replace it with a standard pc fan like an artic p12/can I replace it at all?
I was looking to RMA it but it was expected to take 3-4 weeks

PSA - ( its been going on for about 2-3 weeks now ) any help is appreciated : ) also going to a micro atx pc/D31 case and was thinking about changing psus but I already have cablemod cable extensions : /

Last edited:
7700x ( undervolted, overclocked was done in bios, no idea how much power it uses AMD adrenaline is bugged/not showing power draw )
7900 gre nitro+ ( oc, die 2863, memory 2766 with fast timings on, uses 300-325 watts underload
64gbs g.skill neo trident 6400mhz

( the psu shouldn't be pulling more than 650 watts tops )

after turning on my pc the psu starts clicking ( ima 99% sure its the fan ) is it safe to replace it with a standard pc fan like an artic p12/can I replace it at all?
I was looking to RMA it but it was expected to take 3-4 weeks
Wouldn't recommend replacing the fan and may not be possible unless your good with a soldering iron even then pretty sure it would have to be a 5v fan not 12 v or it will damage the psu

if they happen to be the same voltage/compatible replacing it would be possible right
You would have to find a fan that is identical to voltage and power draw yes it's been done with a few noctua as a mod I would be 100 percent against it power supplys can hold charge for a while if your hell bent make sure you unplug from wall hold power button down on pc case to discharge electric from pc then turn off PSU switch hold pc button down again.

Jun 10, 2024
Ok thank you! I might open it up in the morning and check what the fans specs are hopefully it has the sticker on the back

(opened up my old prebuilts psu before so I sorta know what ima doing and Ik to NOT the capacitors)

on the back of the psu fan in that image it says 5 watts and the artic fans are rated for almost 4 would that cause a problem?
It shouldn't it just may run a bit slower you may run into a issue using a standard fan from a pc by the connector type it's a 2 pin fan header but that may be one of those smaller headers like this