Question MSI MAG FORGE 11 LED Switch Button connection HELP!!

Nov 15, 2022
I had owned a MSI MAG FORGE case, the supplier provides a LED Fan along with the case. on the TOP case, it has the LED Switch button. in the manual guide, they shows the way to connect that button with a hub board to control others 3 or more LED Fan. My question is whether i can connect that LED switch button to only one LED Fan without buying a controller board? Please help, many thanks folk

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My question is whether i can connect that LED switch button to only one LED Fan without buying a controller board?

No.

From PC case manual, you can clearly see that the cable coming from LED switch is 2-pin wire, that is meant to go into RGB controller board. It is essentially just "on-off" switch.

3-pin ARGB fans need 3 wires for LED control: +5V for power, Data for controlling the LED packages and Ground to complete the power circuit.

So, you have 3 options:
  1. Get the MSI RGB control board, IF you want to use the LED button on your PC case front I/O.
  2. Plug the fan 3-pin ARGB connector directly to your MoBo 3-pin ARGB header (if your MoBo has it) and control the LEDs via MoBo software.
  3. Don't plug the 3-pin ARGB connector anywhere. Fan LEDs won't work but fan still works (spins, creating airflow).

Nov 15, 2022
No.

From PC case manual, you can clearly see that the cable coming from LED switch is 2-pin wire, that is meant to go into RGB controller board. It is essentially just "on-off" switch.

3-pin ARGB fans need 3 wires for LED control: +5V for power, Data for controlling the LED packages and Ground to complete the power circuit.

So, you have 3 options:
  1. Get the MSI RGB control board, IF you want to use the LED button on your PC case front I/O.
  2. Plug the fan 3-pin ARGB connector directly to your MoBo 3-pin ARGB header (if your MoBo has it) and control the LEDs via MoBo software.
  3. Don't plug the 3-pin ARGB connector anywhere. Fan LEDs won't work but fan still works (spins, creating airflow).
Many thanks @Aeacus bro, but i had searched on the Internet before, this guy showed the way to use 2-wire LED switch button. I don't dare to try to connect and set up like this. what do you think abou this video?
Where to use that 2 Pin LED Switch from your PC Case - YouTube

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what do you think abou this video?

1. I couldn't understand half of what he was saying, since he used English and Mandarin? at the same time.
  2. As that bloke pointed out, it only works IF the fan LED has 2-pin wire, meaning that all the RGB profiles are within the fan hub itself, and 2-pin wire is only needed to switch between profiles.

Also, those AITC Kingsman fans are the very 1st fans, that i've ever seen, to use 2-pin LED wire. All other RGB fans, either use: 4-pin RGB, 3-pin ARGB or proprietary connector (5-pin, 6-pin).

So, unless you have the VERY same fans, the "trick" that bloke used, doesn't work.

Reactions: Hoper Chen
Nov 15, 2022
  1. I couldn't understand half of what he was saying, since he used English and Mandarin? at the same time.
  2. As that bloke pointed out, it only works IF the fan LED has 2-pin wire, meaning that all the RGB profiles are within the fan hub itself, and 2-pin wire is only needed to switch between profiles.
Also, those AITC Kingsman fans are the very 1st fans, that i've ever seen, to use 2-pin LED wire. All other RGB fans, either use: 4-pin RGB, 3-pin ARGB or proprietary connector (5-pin, 6-pin).

So, unless you have the VERY same fans, the "trick" that bloke used, doesn't work.
Many thanks for your explainnation bro.