[SOLVED] MSI MAG341CQ firmware update

germanlee42

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
The January 2019 tom’s review of this monitor states “Even with calibration, the MAG341CQ lagged behind all the other monitors in color accuracy. While an average error of 3dE isn’t bad, the other screens did better. An sRGB option would have been a step in the right direction. In the past, we might have said these were good results for a gaming monitor. But in today’s market, few screens stray far from the proper specs. MSI might consider a firmware update to fix these issues.”

I see a driver on the MSI website dated September 2019.

I purchased this monitor in December ‘19. How can I confirm that my driver is the latest? I’ve read on the forums that my “generic PnP monitor” listed in device manager (driver date 2006) does not need an MSI driver but the review referenced above suggested a possible firmware update.

Should I download the MSI driver and if so how? Sorry but this is new to me.

Thank you!

Lee

Solution
Firmware and Driver are two different things.

Firmware is written to the actual hardware (in this case, the monitor).

A driver, however, is installed on the hard drive where Windows resides.

“generic PnP monitor” indicates that the manufacturer's driver for that monitor has not been installed (otherwise DM would show monitor make and model instead).
The driver is optional but advisable as it tells Windows what refresh-rates that monitor supports. It also usually includes an .ICM colour profile for that monitor.

As for firmware, I don't see any firmware updates for it on the product page.

“generic PnP monitor” indicates that the manufacturer's driver for that monitor has not been installed (otherwise DM would show monitor make and model instead).
The driver is optional but advisable as it tells Windows what refresh-rates that monitor supports. It also usually includes an .ICM colour profile for that monitor.

Solution

germanlee42

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017

Phillip,

Thanks for the reply! I understand and really appreciate it!!

Lee