[SOLVED] MSI MEG Z490I Unify Issues - DIMMB1 RAM slot?

Jul 12, 2020
I'm running into issues with the DIMMB1 slot on this board (MSI MEG Z490I Unify). I have two 16 GB RAM sticks (Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200). When either stick is in the DIMMB1 slot, I can't boot, with the EZ Debug LEDs alternating between the CPU and the DRAM LEDs being lit. This occurs regardless of whether there's a stick in the DIMMA1 slot.

When I leave the DIMMB1 slot empty but insert a stick in the DIMMA1 slot, I'm able to boot to the BIOS with no issues (other than a longer-than-normal boot time as a I think DIMMB1 is checked for RAM first).

I've tried clearing CMOS but the problem still happens. Is there something else I should try?

Solution
I'm running into issues with the DIMMB1 slot on this board (MSI MEG Z490I Unify). I have two 16 GB RAM sticks (Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 2 x 16GB DDR4 3200). When either stick is in the DIMMB1 slot, I can't boot, with the EZ Debug LEDs alternating between the CPU and the DRAM LEDs being lit. This occurs regardless of whether there's a stick in the DIMMA1 slot.

When I leave the DIMMB1 slot empty but insert a stick in the DIMMA1 slot, I'm able to boot to the BIOS with no issues (other than a longer-than-normal boot time as a I think DIMMB1 is checked for RAM first).

I've tried clearing CMOS but the problem still happens. Is there something else I should try?
Bent pin on the CPU socket is one possible reason. Interference (weight...

kanewolf

Titan

Bent pin on the CPU socket is one possible reason. Interference (weight deforming the motherboard, improper installation) from the CPU cooler is another possible reason.

Reactions: amircantdance
Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks! I had assumed this aberration on the right of the CPU socket was intentional:

kYK22Gz.jpg

but based on Wikipedia's LGA 1200 image (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/LGA1200_Socket.jpg), that seems like it's the problem.

TRENDING THREADS