Sep 9, 2024
Greetings, I had a very strange issue with which I have some difficulties to diagnose and resolve. I have little hope for someone may have encounter with this problem, so I'm just posting this to any tech-related forums.

Problem:
Some devices do not connect through frontal usb-c.

Provided:
MB: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
BIOS: 7C56v18 (AGESA 1.2.0.5)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Case: Cougar Duoface Pro RGB White (USB-C 3.1 Gen 2)
Device: DualSense
Cable: 1m 5A with Power Sensor

Description:
When I connect DualSense to frontal usb-c it does not identifies in Windows at all, but it does charging (around 500mA). So i tried:
- Connect DualSense directly to MB’s usb-c with same cable — works fine.
- Connect Phone (POCO M5) to frontal usb-c — doesn’t work, but does charging (around 500mA too).
- Connect Flash Drive to frontal usb-c — works fine.
- Connect all of the above to frontal usb-a, both 3.1 and one 2.0 — all works fine.
- Unfortunately, I don’t have extra PC case with usb-c to verify side of problem for sure.

Failed attempts to resolve:
- Updating drivers.
- Clearing CMOS.
- Disable power savings on USBs in device manager.
- Disabling USB Legacy support in BIOS.
- Disabling XHCI hand-off in BIOS.

Extra:
I used MS’s usbview and it showed, that port stuck in usb enumeration. Also, updating BIOS is not an option for me.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/support
You have 13 BIOS updates, I'd see if you can flash to the latest version, then clear the CMOS, then see if that helps.

Updating drivers.
Did you use a third party app to update your drivers or verify if you needed to update them?

Also, updating BIOS is not an option for me.
Why not?

Some devices do not connect through frontal usb-c
To rule out the front port being faulty, does the same issue happen with the rear USB Type-C port?

Sep 9, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-PLUS/support
You have 13 BIOS updates, I'd see if you can flash to the latest version, then clear the CMOS, then see if that helps.

Updating drivers.
Did you use a third party app to update your drivers or verify if you needed to update them?

Also, updating BIOS is not an option for me.
Why not?

Some devices do not connect through frontal usb-c
To rule out the front port being faulty, does the same issue happen with the rear USB Type-C port?
Only Windows Update, AMD chipset and MSI service.

No, rear one works fine, all of them works except for this one front type-c.

Why not updating BIOS?
I got my system tuned very tight and superstable, all AGESAs above 1.2.0.5. screw something up - tried them up to 1.2.0.B.

Thing is not so crucial for me, I just find it very odd. Port is working, judging by it charging ability and able to transfer data (it works with flash drives). MB type-c port works. All other front USBs works too. I dont get it.