Review MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Review: Affordable Basics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A cooler master haf x evo lol. (I am only laughing because that is the case I am running my MSI unify and 3800x in (oc'ed to 4.4 all core FLCK 1900).

That setup is pretty dam close to an open air test bench.............

You slap that board into a standard case, install a normal CLC cooler on it, and watch the thermals on the VRM's sore. ( Using a CLC eliminates the CPU fan which traditionally helps cool the VRM's)
A traditional CPU fan would help. In a tower case, so would a top fan. We're just optimizing for cross-flow cooling in a radiator rig.

I should also remind you that all our awards are qualified by the target market. We believe that this is as good as it gets at $160. The ASRock board we recommended was as good as it gets at $200 (actually $195 but what's $5?). We also have best-of-the-best (no price limit), but what we NO LONGER have (for several years now) is different awards for different qualifications.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A traditional CPU fan would help. In a tower case, so would a top fan. We're just optimizing for cross-flow cooling in a radiator rig.

I should also remind you that all our awards are qualified by the target market. We believe that this is as good as it gets at $160. The ASRock board we recommended was as good as it gets at $200 (actually $195 but what's $5?). We also have best-of-the-best (no price limit), but what we NO LONGER have (for several years now) is different awards for different qualifications.

Your pointing fans at the VRM's in what amounts to an open air test bench. And your still recording temperatures 20C higher than other boards. It is not a stretch to imagine that in a normal case, with normal cooling, temps would be higher. Now we are talking in the 100C range.

Seeing how your targeting the "budget" crowd, your most likely looking at someone buying a sub-$75.00 case and only using the fans that came with it (if any). Sure you could buy a few additional fans, but then why not spend that money on a better motherboard?

Sorry, I could not disagree more with your assessment of this board. The VRM temps should give it a fail grade, regardless of price.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your pointing fans at the VRM's in what amounts to an open air test bench. And your still recording temperatures 20C higher than other boards. It is not a stretch to imagine that in a normal case, with normal cooling, temps would be higher. Now we are talking in the 100C range.

Seeing how your targeting the "budget" crowd, your most likely looking at someone buying a sub-$75.00 case and only using the fans that came with it (if any). Sure you could buy a few additional fans, but then why not spend that money on a better motherboard?

Sorry, I could not disagree more with your assessment of this board. The VRM temps should give it a fail grade, regardless of price.
Put a big air cooler on it. Or put your radiator on the top panel. Cheap options for anyone cheap enough to buy this board.

Oh, and the fans aren't pointed directly at the voltage regulator. The memory is in the way. You own the case, take a look at your build.

Last edited:

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Put a big air cooler on it. Or put your radiator on the top panel. Cheap options for anyone cheap enough to buy this board.

Oh, and the fans aren't pointed directly at the voltage regulator. The memory is in the way. You own the case, take a look at your build.
I own the case, I would never own the motherboard. The bottom of MSI's product stack with the x570 chipset is terrible.

Reactions: rigg42

z0d

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
A bunch of graphics cards have coolers that are more than two slots thick. And most boards keep the top slot space vacant to make more room around the CPU, so that the second card would go into the case's fifth or sixth slot.

True if I were to put my 1080 Ti gpu which occupies 3 slots on that 2nd PCIe x16 slot this would happen, a millimeter more it would hit the connector and cables on the USB 3.
SnHu4Ns.jpg

Given Hardware Unboxed (and other hardware websites as well, btw) results testing of this board with disastrous VRM temps (105C, etc!) using an R9-3900X, I can't see why this board would EVER get a recommend...much less a ludicrous 'Just Buy it', the rating for this distinction having just tied that of used waste paper in a toilet.

At least edit your article with a possible caveat to say this board might be a POS with a 95+W processor.....

Feb 25, 2020
That's completely possible.
Here was our method:
1.) See postings about overheating voltage regulators
2.) Contact all the manufacturers and say "We're doing a budget X570 series, would you like to join?"
3.) Talk to everyone who responds
4.) Note that MSI talked about something other than the budget X570 series
5.) Buy the board and run the test, using the latest firmware because we always run the latest public firmware.
6.) Report the overheating if it occurs.

But rather than overheating, we were left with "entering Board Explore menu causes USB ports to be disabled" and "Hardware monitor page in MSI software is blank". Those are two annoying problem, but shouldn't be a deal breaker to people who know about them before ordering.

We used HWInfo and an IR meter and reported the highest temperature of those two. Here's the test system:
You used an IR meter hahah

Reactions: rigg42 and Gillerer
I can't stress this enough. I haven't been to Tom's for quite some time, and I came back only to find out this bombshell. It was just shocking. The MSI MPG X570 is the worst AM4 motherboard at this price range, and all of that because of the VRM.

And guess what? This review only showed that the VRM heats up to "below 90C" on an overclocked 3700X and ends up giving "editor's choice". Shocking. Other publications are testing with an overclocked 3900X and get well over 100C.

Tl;DR If you're looking for boards in this price range don't get this. It sucks, and don't listen to this review. Get an ASUS X570 TUF or Prime instead.

Feb 25, 2020
I have a theory about this video. There are questions that i asked myself after reading this.

1. Why all of a sudden roll out review of an old board now?
  2. Why claim that hi-end chipset should not be paired with hi-end CPU?
  3. Why recommend a board that MSI itself has agreed have flawed design?
  4. Why go against every other review that is out there?
Oh it's very simple. I think retailers need to clear their stock and Toms Hardware is doing this for money. But the price is much higher - the integrity of this organisation.

You just cant treat the world like its 1998. This is just one of hundreds of sources of information out there. Its just a question of time before people will catch up to your dishonesty.

I'm not calling this a shock or whatever... but i just want you to know THAT WE KNOW WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
A cooler master haf x evo lol. (I am only laughing because that is the case I am running my MSI unify and 3800x in (oc'ed to 4.4 all core FLCK 1900).

Pull the sides off and it is. On a side note, any thermal testing should include the test setup...........

You slap that board into a standard case, install a normal CLC cooler on it, and watch the thermals on the VRM's sore. ( Using a CLC eliminates the CPU fan which traditionally helps cool the VRM's)

This is a pretty standard setup........

Now your additional 20C matter.......... Alot!

Rookie troll, pul lease. That was a poor excuse of an attempt at a dismissal.

You probably did not know this, but you CAN read a different opinion and just move on. I respect yours, but the point is totally missing.

Feb 25, 2020
This is a bad MB period.

The review is not to be trusted, compared it with reviews from other reputable sites.

Only question that remains is why?

Well i think it obvious why... the money, retailers etc.

But this was so obvious and out of nowhere.

Sure with this and that cooling and lesser CPU it works, but every other board out there IS BETTER in any scenario. So why vouch for the worst boards of them all??? I guess VRM can work with high temps if it's built for that but that still makes that particular VRM the worst out there. There is no argument.

This review is an opinion piece, a content marketing. Any descent website will mark it as such, but even then is dishonest.

Feb 25, 2020

Pull the sides off and it is. On a side note, any thermal testing should include the test setup...........

This is a pretty standard setup........

Now your additional 20C matter.......... Alot!

Rookie troll, pul lease. That was a poor excuse of an attempt at a dismissal.

Dude... MSI Unify is the fixed version that came out after the backlash. That mobo has no VRM problems.

Feb 25, 2020
Too many HU fanboys and trolls brigading. They need to be permanently banned.

Thanks.

I put this board in a build for client you tool. I could not care less what reviewers say, i can do my own testing. Ended up changing this for ASUS x570 Prime. Retailer took MSI back with no objections. Now that i see this board being recommended... hell yes im going to speak up.

Mazdaspeeding

BANNED
Feb 25, 2020
How much did this editors choice award cost? I'm betting it was less than a $50 gift card to red lobster. When every other site contradicts your results, maybe it's you that's the troll.

I especially like the part about how people shouldn't put 3900x's in an x570 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.