[SOLVED] MSI MPG Z390 Gaming pro carbone with WD NVMe SSD

Aug 10, 2019
My MSI MPG Z390 has two M.2 slots, the top one is closer to the CPU while the bottom one has a heat sink.

After reading the manual, I still can't determine which slot is the better one?

From what I gather online the top one is better but not sure if it matters that it won't have a sink on it. Can anyone please help?

Solution
Theoretically, because the top slot is closer to the CPU, meaning it should be able to receive commands and such earlier. Then again, electrical current is lightning fast and we're talking inches of length here at the max.

Whichever is more aesthetically pleasing, gives the best cooling or works better for you (because using M.2 PCI-E cards disable SATA ports) is more important, as it'll be worth more than the impossible-to-measure speed increase will be.
Theoretically, because the top slot is closer to the CPU, meaning it should be able to receive commands and such earlier. Then again, electrical current is lightning fast and we're talking inches of length here at the max.

Whichever is more aesthetically pleasing, gives the best cooling or works better for you (because using M.2 PCI-E cards disable SATA ports) is more important, as it'll be worth more than the impossible-to-measure speed increase will be.

Solution