[SOLVED] MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti issue?

Feb 24, 2020
I have been running two PCs through a single monitor (ASUS VS247H) for a number of years without any problems; my 'Primary' PC plugged into the HDMI port and my 'Secondary' PC plugged into the DVI port. Both PCs were running AMD Radeon R7 260X graphics cards.

I have recently built a new 'Primary' PC with the following spec:

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Now, if I boot the secondary PC with the monitor input set to HDMI (Primary PC), the display flickers momentarily and then goes black and disables the input button. The only way I can now view the secondary PC is to temporarily unplug it's DVI lead (at which point the HDMI input comes back), change the monitor input to DVI and then plug the lead back in. The DVI input is just fine.

I clearly have a conflict of some nature, but I am scratching my head as to what it exactly is.

If it helps, the secondary PC specs are:

GIGABYTE Z68AP-D3
Intel Core i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Corsair XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R7 260X

Can anyone help?

Solution
check if your monitor onboard settings menu has an output preference option. you may be able to choose which cable takes preference when both systems are running.
this should make the HDMI output continue to function until you manually change to DVI.

if this doesn't help, try changing output to the primary display to DisplayPort since it has higher bandwidth than either HDMI or DVI anyway. it should take output preference automatically with any modern display.

what exactly is the old 2700K handling that the 9900K can't that makes you need a secondary system attached to the same display? if it is a secondary OS, maybe using a virtual desktop inside the 9900K system would be easier.
check if your monitor onboard settings menu has an output preference option. you may be able to choose which cable takes preference when both systems are running.
this should make the HDMI output continue to function until you manually change to DVI.

if this doesn't help, try changing output to the primary display to DisplayPort since it has higher bandwidth than either HDMI or DVI anyway. it should take output preference automatically with any modern display.

what exactly is the old 2700K handling that the 9900K can't that makes you need a secondary system attached to the same display? if it is a secondary OS, maybe using a virtual desktop inside the 9900K system would be easier.

Solution
Feb 24, 2020

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the ASUS VS247H has neither a primary output preference option nor a DisplayPort port.

The secondary PC is a stand-alone machine that's not networked and needs to stay that way.

if you, or Windows on it's own, hasn't installed specific ASUS drivers for this model of display maybe installing them on both systems will help. sometimes they will change how Windows interacts with a display and it's available options. check in Device Manager > Monitors if it lists the specific model of monitor or just a generic driver.