Question MSI Optix G273QF won't go over 60hz

Dec 30, 2022
I just bought a brand new MSI Optix G273QF (capable of up to 165hz), and hooked it up to my PC to find out it will only run at 60hz

refresh.jpg

the graphics card I have is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti (4GB), it comes with two DVI and two HDMI ports, which I am using (I bought a 2.0 HDMI cable). Is there something I can do, or did I just waste my money buying a 165hz display when I could have bought a 60hz one?

Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My suspicion is that the 750ti doesn't support that framerate at resolution, but cannot verify that by way of the spec page.
I used to use one in my HTPC and was surprised to see a driver update allow it to go from 4k/30 to 4k/60 but in spite of that the stutter on pan was pretty bad. I have never tried one at 1440.

Jan 15, 2022
I believe you need an adapter for that. I think your model is the mini hdmi so you need and mini hdmi - hdmi 2.0 4k high speed. You will only get max hz of 144 through hdmi tho. To get 165 you would probably need a different gpu with a display port. Heres one i think would work i read someone saying they got 144hz at 1080p with it. Again i'm not positive on this but its worth a shot. I had a similar problem with one of my monitors but i had to switch from hdmi to hdmi to a high speed display port to hdmi when my resolution wouldnt show right.
https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Mini-Cable-Ultra-Speed/dp/B00608WXGA

Dec 30, 2022
I believe you need an adapter for that. I think your model is the mini hdmi so you need and mini hdmi - hdmi 2.0 4k high speed. You will only get max hz of 144 through hdmi tho. To get 165 you would probably need a different gpu with a display port. Heres one i think would work i read someone saying they got 144hz at 1080p with it. Again i'm not positive on this but its worth a shot. I had a similar problem with one of my monitors but i had to switch from hdmi to hdmi to a high speed display port to hdmi when my resolution wouldnt show right.

I already bought a high-speed HDMI cable, I tried with three different cables actually, with no luck. My card has two (regular) HDMI ports and two DVIs, I heard that some GTX 750s came with DP, not mine. I will use it as is I guess, and then upgrade the graphics card one or two years down the road.

Jan 15, 2022
I already bought a high-speed HDMI cable, I tried with three different cables actually, with no luck. My card has two (regular) HDMI ports and two DVIs, I heard that some GTX 750s came with DP, not mine. I will use it as is I guess, and then upgrade the graphics card one or two years down the road.
Still will be a smooth 60 its a nice monitor. Prices are going down on cards if you wait a year or at least probably around summer im sure a lot of cards will be dirt cheap id look at amd cards as the performance per price is miles better than nividia.

As already mentioned, the GTX 750 Ti does not support HDMI 2.0. If the card doesn't have a DisplayPort output, no adapters will be able to help in this situation. A new graphics card will be needed.

Jan 15, 2022
As already mentioned, the GTX 750 Ti does not support HDMI 2.0. If the card doesn't have a DisplayPort output, no adapters will be able to help in this situation. A new graphics card will be needed.
[/QUOTE Yea but it has a mini hdmi from gpu so the other end hdmi 2.0 to monitor. Ive never used one nor do i know if mini hdmi can output high enough speeds but the cord said it can do 4k i would imagine it could carry 144hz at 1080. But ive never used a mini hdmi but thats kinda false advertising saying it will output 4k but cant output 144hz at 1080p

Yea but it has a mini hdmi from gpu so the other end hdmi 2.0 to monitor.

The GPU does not support HDMI 2.0. It is limited to HDMI 1.4, which is ≈60 Hz at 2560 × 1440. It doesn't matter what cable is used.

Ive never used one nor do i know if mini hdmi can output high enough speeds but the cord said it can do 4k i would imagine it could carry 144hz at 1080.

It can, but the OP isn't using a 1080p monitor.

Jan 15, 2022
The GPU does not support HDMI 2.0. It is limited to HDMI 1.4, which is ≈60 Hz at 2560 × 1440. It doesn't matter what cable is used.

It can, but the OP isn't using a 1080p monitor.
Alright I appreciate all the info I just figured since he was using a 6600 on 1440p he would do 1080p upscaled to 1440 cause that 6600 is decent but with newer games you won't get 144 at 2k unless you run it upscaled through amd super resolution. But I really appreciate all the knowledge