Question MSI or ASUS

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello,
My previous mobo which was Asus Prime H610m-a stopped working and it can't be fixed. I need to buy a new motherboard for my i5-12400f . With the budget I have I can either buy
MSI PRO B760M-A D4 WIFI or ASUS PRIME B760M-A D4 non WIFI. The MSI board has 12+1 vrm and the Asus has 8+1. I can buy them at almost the same price, the MSI board is $10 more expensive. Does more vrm mean better motherboard ? Because I might upgrade to I5- 14600, of course I don't know if it is worth it for gaming or not, Wifi is not important.

I normally look at newegg reviews to see if there is any persistent issue with a product.
I look for a valid reason for a zero egg review.
Info on the Asus board is limited.
One has to assume that a motherboard will function.
The MSI reviews are typical.
Seems to me that $10 is a small price to pay for what looks like a superior MSI motherboard.

Reactions: Samuel-212

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
I normally look at newegg reviews to see if there is any persistent issue with a product.
Seems to me that $10 is a small price to pay for what looks like a superior MSI motherboard.
Yeah , I am more inclined to buy the MSI board as well and I am ok with paying that $10 to get a better board, but because my knowledge regarding different types of vrms is limited, I just needed to ask for a second opinion. I just don't want to make a blunder because of my lack of knowledge . Thank you by the way.

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
One more question , do you have any problems with your MSI z690-a ? I can probably afford to buy an msi z690-p but I have heard the motherboard does not come out of sleep if windows goes to sleep. is that true? and if so has the problem been fixed?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Are you in the US? If you are, this should be your choice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FNWzK8/asrock-z690-extreme-atx-lga1700-motherboard-z690-extreme

It's comfortably powerfull enough to run even the i9 14900KS, and it's a DDR4 board. Should be perfect for you.
Unless you're limited to mATX?

One more question , do you have any problems with your MSI z690-a ? I can probably afford to buy an msi z690-p but I have heard the motherboard does not come out of sleep if windows goes to sleep. is that true? and if so has the problem been fixed?
Initially, I did have some sleep issues, but bios updates have fixed it.
I found the MSI forums to be very helpful in the early days.
Some sleep issues come from the monitors and aggressive c states.

As of today, I have been up and running for 20 days, using sleep.

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Are you in the US? If you are, this should be your choice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FNWzK8/asrock-z690-extreme-atx-lga1700-motherboard-z690-extreme

It's comfortably powerfull enough to run even the i9 14900KS, and it's a DDR4 board. Should be perfect for you.
Unless you're limited to mATX?
Well, I like everything about this motherboard, 13 Phase SPS Dr.MOS ? wow at that price , it's a steal! I have never had an Asrock motherboard before, are their boards durable enough? have you ever had any experience with them?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Well, I like everything about this motherboard, 13 Phase SPS Dr.MOS ? wow at that price , it's a steal! I have never had an Asrock motherboard before, are their boards durable enough? have you ever had any experience with them?
I've had good experiences with AsRock. Like all major manufacturers they sometimes sell stinkers. Real stinkers.

But the z690 Extreme is a former flagship motherboard. It's not the latest flagship chipset anymore so it's price has come down. Way down. The price in the US is crazy cheap. In Europe it's usually 200-225 euro. And it's still a good choice even at that price.

If ATX is no problem, i don't think you can find a better z motherboard right now. Well, you can but the price will be huge.
A majority of z790 motherboards don't offer that much more. An extra M.2 slot? Or USB-C?
For me even the z690 Riptide would be ok, but the Extreme is a few dollars more and ticks all the important boxes.

You shouldn't trust every AsRock motherboard that's cheap. Esp. not the budget ones like the H610, but then most H-10 boards are bad.