Question MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 no longer recognizing M.2 Boot drive(s)

Dec 28, 2022
I built a new system a bit over a month ago with the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, and i've been using it since as a daily driver. Yesterday i had a system crash (didn't even go to BSOD, just froze and shut down) and since then i've been having a hell of a time booting up. It seems the motherboard is failing to boot from the m.2 slot. At first i naturally suspected that it was the drive that was faulty (Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB) but since i had my old computer around i put the new drive in the old computer and it was detecting it (and booting) up just fine, so my suspicions kinda shifted to the Mobo. Additionally, the old drive in the new computer is also detected but won't boot either. Most of the times the BIOS will show that no drives are connected (i just have the one m.2 slot filled, no sata ssds or hdds), from time to time, the drive will apear but the computer will still go straight to bios, no booting, even when recognizing the M.2 drive. I have updated the BIOS, to see if that made any difference, but it didn't. (Not sure i updated it much since i had already updated the BIOS when building the system, i'm using a 13600k CPU).

HOWEVER, and this is where it gets super weird for me, yesterday night it booted up just fine, i could toy around, play my videogames and be happy again, i thought the problem had been a hiccup and it was solved. But i was wrong, we're back to square one this morning, so i come to y'all for any help/advice you can offer.

I should probably mention that the BOOT led light on the mobo is shining green/yellow-ish.

I guess i could try resetting the cmos and updating the bios again? Not sure if that would make a difference or not, my tech expertise is relatively limited, i build systems for friends and myself and they usually work, this is uncharted territory for me.

edit: Just tried moving the M.2 Drive from the M2_1 slot to the M2_4 slot (should be linked to chipset, right?) still no dice, M.2 drive not present. Having both the old M.2 drive with a W10 install and the new M.2 drive with a W11 install still doesn't seem to work. The mobo recognizes the old one (the new one still missing) but not as a bootable drive, it seems.

edit 2: attempting to reinstall windows 11 with a flashed usb will prompt me the following text (rough translation from spanish): "A media driver your computer needs is missing." Unsure if this is relevant.