MSI Puts Overclocking Genie in Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
If they wanted to be really smart, they would make the button mountable, so you can hit it to OC on the fly once the profiles had been set.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
This will probably be just like Nvidia's and ATI's offerings for overclocking. Gives a real basic overclock and won't void your warranty. While these can be good for those less hardcore they are very unlikely to replace traditional OC'ing methods.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I'm sure Toms hardware or other sites that review and overclock PC hardware may appreciate this if it is standardized and comes on every motherboard.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]This will probably be just like Nvidia's and ATI's offerings for overclocking. Gives a real basic overclock and won't void your warranty.[/citation]

Yes, very likely. Why would they include an automated feature that might damage their own hardware.

G

I wonder how it will do if you 'downgrade' eg the graphics card. Will it detect it, or send the faster OC'ed voltage and frequency to the graphics card before frying it?

Most people don't downgrade, but I can imagine people putting a lower power version of their graphics card (eg one made on a smaller die) in the board. Hope that won't give any fireworks!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Pffft....if it's as good as auto voltages...I don't want to go near it. Agreed about the fun part too. I don't see this EVER replacing fine tuning and careful testing.

Seriously, as an electrical engineer, I am surprised this wasn't been developed before 2009. In reality, all the test we do can easily be done with scripts.

This will be more and more common. Now MSI, tomorrow Gigabyte and Asus.

[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]LOL its MSI - cant see this working well, the company is a joke[/citation]

Arhmmm... let me telling you a Story about the sooo good Asus and Gigaschnout companies...

Gigabyte was so big and making so many boards that flaws in a typical model would be the less of their damn thought. So they made the beautiful 965P-DS3... a board that DIED on me 3 times on a STOCK SYSTEM! Changed for an Asus board and it was an happy ending for this computer...

But a new computer in another house was driven by Asus ATI graphic cards. These cards were so hot that fusion could be generated! So these cards in crossfire were easily the worst... out of the box... stuff anyone could buy. Some computers could barely play games for 10 minutes. Due to MIR, no refund or exchange is accepted.

TEH END!!!

p.s. : I was able to lower the temperature by 20 Celcius at loads with a powerful fan, but now my quiet system isn't so quiet anymore. So... do I trust MSI more than Asus and GIgabyte... absolutefriggingly!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I believe this may be useful to those who don't want the hassle of fine tuning.

I also believe this would be helpful in finding a good starting point for your overclock.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Useless feature. Of course, we don't know how it works. Maybe you set the frequency with the +/- and then click the OC button like the turbo on 3x86 computers... Then, it's a feature that's not too bad. We do however have that in software now, so why the OC button?

G

This feature is for novices that don't know what they're doing but still want to OC.

The thing is, if you don't know what you're doing, should you really be OCing your system?

feenyxfire

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Phenomenal cosmic power! Itty-bitty living space.

No, really. It shouldn't be a stretch to come up with a chip that does the repetitious min/maxing that most overclockers do. What better than a tiny computer to try all the likely combinations of voltages and whatnot to boost the numbers? However, the 'dark arts' and various amounts of voodoo involved in coaxing 5 GHz out of thin air will remain the bastion of the elite for some time yet, methinks. As far as joe-on-the-street is concerned, at least this puppy will save him some time with all the trivial tweaks so that he can get to the bleeding edge more quickly.

seraphimcaduto

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
reminds me of my first gateway with the "turbo" button on the outside, ah the days of 33mhz computers being $5000....thanks futomnoreg for the stop down memory lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS