MSI R9 390X temperatures

alphadogg

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
hello,
i recently bought a MSI R9 390X, the problem i am facing is when i play games maxed out, like witcher 3 the card runs around 83-85c . i tried running MSI kombustor for 10mins the temperature reached 94c. are these temperatures normal for this card?
my case hase has 2 intake and 1 exhaust fans.
thanks.

Solution
I'd add more case fans. The temps on my msi r9 390x were reaching up to the 90's also. (However this was with a 100mhz overclock at 1150mhz and 1700 mhz on memory)

I added 3 case fans and my temps dropped down to 76. So it sounds like a case flow issue.

And please don't use msi kombustor. It's probably the worst out there. Use firestrike or a similar tool. Kombustor places unrealistic strains on the gpu.

And I used to get in the 80's also for the witcher 3. So that's about normal. Just add some case fans and you should see your temps drop dramatically.

If after you add fans and you still don't see a drop then contact msi for the replacement.

Mysticking32

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
I'd add more case fans. The temps on my msi r9 390x were reaching up to the 90's also. (However this was with a 100mhz overclock at 1150mhz and 1700 mhz on memory)

I added 3 case fans and my temps dropped down to 76. So it sounds like a case flow issue.

And please don't use msi kombustor. It's probably the worst out there. Use firestrike or a similar tool. Kombustor places unrealistic strains on the gpu.

And I used to get in the 80's also for the witcher 3. So that's about normal. Just add some case fans and you should see your temps drop dramatically.

If after you add fans and you still don't see a drop then contact msi for the replacement.

Solution

alphadogg

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

i will get a phantom 410 case soon. will install more fans! thanks :)

marksor_13

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

This is also my problem. I'm playing the Division on ultra settings and I got 91C. I have 1 rear exhaust fan and 1 topside exhaust fan with a radiator for my cpu. For my intake, I have a fan in front of the case. I already ordered an exhaust fan to be added beside my topside fan (with radiator) and a 200mm fan for the intake in front of the case.

Would these fans help?