MSI Radeon R9 280x Twin Frozer 3GB crashing on stock levels (MSI AFTERBURNER)

Alex94z

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hey there,
My GPU crashes to a solid colour during AAA titles such as witcher 3 skyrim with heavy mods and even KF2 & Alien Isolation with even stock set Core clock levels (1020Mhz) and Memory clock (1500MHz) set initially by MSI afterburner.

My other specs:
CPU : I5 3570k (No set overclocks or overclocking utilities)
PSU : 750w Corsair
MSI Afterburner version : 4.1.0
GPU Driver Version : 9.14 (Beta)

So yeah i am really struggling to find levels beyond the lowest possible settings of 510mhz for the core and 750 for the memory which is resulting in very low frames at medium - high 1920x1080 in witcher 3 of around 18-25.

I am keeping a constant eye on my GPU temperature whilst adjusting any sliders and the temperature seems to stick around low to mid 50s with a 60% setting in fan.

Alex94z

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Considering when i built this computer it was chosen by someone with an "overclocking" badge on this forum i don't really know what to say...

Alex94z

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

I was using the most up to date driver by AMD but it was giving me horrible frame rates so i went for this beta version and it improved vastly giving me 10-15+ fps

I could only imagine. There's lots of guys giving bad advice here. But it is getting better.

But anyways, the CX gives a lot of trouble to graphics cards, so replace it, and pawn it off to some unknowing craigslist buyer.

Alex94z

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Since this morning i have been doing a lot more tests to try figure out if its even the OCing and i am noticing the game crashes (ANY GAME) when the temp reaches 60c which i easily reach with AAA titles, however i don't reach this temperature with smaller games such as dota etc.. Could this point more towards my card and maybe its cooling system not being seated properly or any other problem? i bought it through Aria Retail going to try contact them about warranty i bought it in 2013 hopefully i can get it RMA'd.

blingnutz

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I am in the exact same boat as you. Witcher 3 is crashing, as did battlefield 4. I never had any issues with Skyrim, but I did not mod the game any. I've not been able to find any answers and I've spent at least 40 hours working on it. I have the ASUS DCUii TOP R9 280x.

You have the same lousy power supply?