News MSI Recalls MAG CoreLiquid 240R / 360R AiO Coolers Due to Sediment Build-Up

Mar 8, 2022
I'd love to see the K360's on the list. I've gotten two so far that have dead water pumps and VRM fans. Getting MSI to actually do anything about it has been rather difficult.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd love to see the K360's on the list. I've gotten two so far that have dead water pumps and VRM fans. Getting MSI to actually do anything about it has been rather difficult.
MAG + MPG Coreliquid, NZXT's Kraken M22, and Fractal Design's Lumen were all made by Apaltek. The vendors just slap their own fans and other accents on them.
The first 3 have had cooling issues due to dirty coolant. The Lumens haven't been out very long, but they may exhibit the same symptoms.
This is something Apaltek needs to fix.

You may have a separate problem, as MEG Coreliquid is made by Asetek.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Reminds me of the same issue with Enermax's TR AIO, which continued to have the same sludge/sediment build-up in later revisions; to the point that many reviewers dropped it from the recommended list.

Mar 9, 2022
my 240r took a dump after 5 months this is exactly what caused it and it says mine is not eligible for recall what a crock, threw a noctua nh-u12 on it never going back to water cooling again

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
my 240r took a dump after 5 months this is exactly what caused it and it says mine is not eligible for recall what a crock, threw a noctua nh-u12 on it never going back to water cooling again

I wouldn't let this sour you on aio's or liquid cooling. Ive been using them for about 20 years and I've never had one fail on me. Be it aio or custom loop.

I happen to have just bought a MSI MAG Coreliquid 320 annnnd I only went with one not made by Asetek whose units which are pretty rocksolid because of availability and fit for Ryzen 7000.

There was recently an Asetek model with potential clogging because a rubber gasket in an wasn't made to spec which isn't really their fault and they sent me what I need to fix it and the fix takes a few min and involves 4 or 6 screws and replacing the gasket and the cold plate then filling it, all of which I got 3 days after filling out the form and will take about 5 min to do.

Thankfully it's never been used and is going into a new system so I don't really need to flush it all out I can just replace the plate, flush it once and it's probably perfect.. the MSI unit was going to be used because it was all I could find without RGB or a display in the pump that also listed am5 socket compatibility but I'm not going to bother risking it even if it's not effected. I'll stick with one by Asetek who handled the ordeal proactively and painlessly. If I wasn't comfortable doing it myself they would do it but it's so simple.

MSI is probably only doing the advanced RMA because of legal reasons involving Apaltek and where they have offices or warehouses that are equipped to handle this kind of thing. Usually hardware vendors who rebadge someone's products don't deal with this stuff directly and I don't think Apaltek has offices in many places at all. I've never even heard of them until recently. Asetek has been making the overwhelming majority of AIO's for many years now.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
MAG + MPG Coreliquid, NZXT's Kraken M22, and Fractal Design's Lumen were all made by Apaltek. The vendors just slap their own fans and other accents on them.
The first 3 have had cooling issues due to dirty coolant. The Lumens haven't been out very long, but they may exhibit the same symptoms.
This is something Apaltek needs to fix.

You may have a separate problem, as MEG Coreliquid is made by Asetek.

A rubber gasket not made to spec. You just contact them and in a couple days you will have everything you need to fix it yourself in a few min. 10 tops if you include unmounting it and remounting.

Well I started by quoting the wrong post but glad I did because that's not a gasket if those were DOA... I don't know what MSI may have added to the Asetek cooling they built off but the chances of 2 with a dead pump and the tiny fan?

You sure you're plugged into the right ports or that you're getting proper power delivery? I mean that's genuinely unheard of when talking about Asetek and their wouldn't be any buildup in units that just sat and hadn't been running.

If I were you and you were comfortable with checking the pins with a voltmeter I would do so asap because it could be a bigger issue and aio's died to let you know about it. If you aren't comfortable find someone who is... You don't wanna risk possibly killing something more expensive.

Feb 6, 2023
Hi, I bought the 240r last March 2021 and have been using it since then but my temps suddenly started to rise last month and I thought it was just due to dust buildup or just need to reapply thermal paste.

I've tried removing and cleaning everything, but my idle and bios temps are still 70-90+°C. I replaced it with my stock AMD cooler and my temps went back to around 50°C. This made me ascertain there is something wrong with the AIO so I ended up here.

Does MSI still offer RMA for this? I bought this from a shop but their warranty is only 1 year for the product so they suggested reaching out to MSI directly. I tried the link for applying for a swap but also received a notification that I should reach out to the shop I bought this from if outside of US.