[SOLVED] MSI RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus OC Thermals

L0N3STARR

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
twitch.tv
Okay, so last night I received my 'new' MSI RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus OC and got it all installed and running.

I got it used, so I want to check in with y'all about the thermals / performance I saw, and make sure everything seems to be operating normally.

Then I started playing on it a little bit. I played Overwatch for about 20 - 30 minutes on Epic settings (I maxed EVERYTHING, just to test it out). Ran between 60 - 80 FPS @1080p the entire time and had zero hiccups. After I was finished, I checked out my thermals and performance. The GPU fans were blowing like crazy (between 2000 and 3000 RPM), and the max temp I'd hit was around 83° C.

So a few questions, since I've never really paid too much attention to this stuff, but am trying to learn.

1. Is 83° C in the danger zone, or is that a safe GPU temp? What is the highest "safe" GPU temp? For that matter, what is the highest "safe" CPU temp?
  2. Does that performance seem in line with what I should expect to see from this GPU?
  3. If I don't ever plan to overclock beyond the boost clock of the card, do I need to worry about additional GPU cooling, or is the built in cooling sufficient?
  4. Is this GPU actually good enough to play things at Ultra / Epic settings, or do I need to scale down my expectations?
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: MSI Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus OC
SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
RAM: Patriot Viper III, PV316G186C0K, 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black
CASE: Apevia Cruiser3 Green

Last edited:
Solution
83c is safe but at the point where your gpu clocks will be lowered a lot by gpu boost. How does the fan setup in your case look? You should consider taking advantage of the side intake by adding fans, as that really helps gpu temps.

Not sure about if the performance you got is normal, but playing on high graphics settings will alleviate the cpu "bottleneck" you would have here.
83c is safe but at the point where your gpu clocks will be lowered a lot by gpu boost. How does the fan setup in your case look? You should consider taking advantage of the side intake by adding fans, as that really helps gpu temps.

Not sure about if the performance you got is normal, but playing on high graphics settings will alleviate the cpu "bottleneck" you would have here.

Solution