Question MSI RTX 3090 Ti SUPRIM X smell??

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
i know the question seems to be weird but... i just received my 3090 Ti suprim x for $1,300, and i figured id go ahead and grab my hands on a 3090 ti. It replaced my ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 10GB. I use DDU uninstaller and install Nvidias newest drivers and when the GPU is underload it smells off in a way...like its not a burning smell its more of like way too much heat...that the card is creating but its worrying me to death. i do eventually want to get a bigger case but i don't think my power supply has anything to do with the smell. my pc specs currently are I9-10850k, cpu cooler is a Lian Li Galahad 240mm aio cooler, motherboard is a msi z490 gaming plus, 32 gb of ram (3200MHZ G.skill Trident), the MSI 3090 Ti as mentioned above, and a SuperFlower Leadex III 850W 80 plus gold power supply. i know Nvidia recommends an 850w for a 3090 Ti. but i don't ever OC anything in my system. when i had my 3080 i never noticed any smell, like i do now, i did notice a coil whine from my 3080 but that's it...i need help.. OH my case is a Lian Li Lancool 2 black tempered glass atx case. my aio cooler radiator is (in the indside part of my case) on the front end with two fans on the front of the case and two in the inside (on the other side of the radiator) that made it a tight squeeze for my 3090 Ti....i did plan on getting a 1200w asus rog thor psu but cant get one bcz of $$....all the gpu fans are spinning. there are no pigtails connected to the 3 way vga splitter that the GPU comes with. and i used 3 separate vga cables because i've heard its better. i also saw videos of the 4090 12v 3 way cable smoking. I'm just worried.. is that smell normal?

Since that card uses the same power connector as the RTX 4090, and since there are SO many problems with the power adapter for the 12vhpwr 16 pin sockets, the first thing I'd do is very closely check to see if you are having THIS problem. Secondly, I really doubt that any card which requires the 16 pin connector is going to do well with only an 850w power supply no matter how good it is. 1000w would be my minimum recommendation.

Is your PSU new or has it been in service for a while prior to using it with this new card?

Have you checked the graphics card temps using HWinfo to monitor GPU, memory and VRM temps on the card to make sure it ISN'T a temperature issue with the card?

No, the smell, whatever it is, isn't normal. Normally functioning hardware, except in a few cases when brand new and flux or other assembly materials have to burn off a bit at first, should never have an obvious smell.

And considering the problem is NOT ONLY with the adapters, you might want to consider returning that card while you can and get something that does not require the 16 pin connector at all because even PSUs with the native adapter are having this same problem.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-4090-native-16-pin-melting

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Since that card uses the same power connector as the RTX 4090, and since there are SO many problems with the power adapter for the 12vhpwr 16 pin sockets, the first thing I'd do is very closely check to see if you are having THIS problem. Secondly, I really doubt that any card which requires the 16 pin connector is going to do well with only an 850w power supply no matter how good it is. 1000w would be my minimum recommendation.

Is your PSU new or has it been in service for a while prior to using it with this new card?

Have you checked the graphics card temps using HWinfo to monitor GPU, memory and VRM temps on the card to make sure it ISN'T a temperature issue with the card?

No, the smell, whatever it is, isn't normal. Normally functioning hardware, except in a few cases when brand new and flux or other assembly materials have to burn off a bit at first, should never have an obvious smell.

And considering the problem is NOT ONLY with the adapters, you might want to consider returning that card while you can and get something that does not require the 16 pin connector at all because even PSUs with the native adapter are having this same problem.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-4090-native-16-pin-melting
The 850w psu that I have i bought it on 5/21/2021 I’ve used it ever since, never had any issues and as far as HWinfo I am a bit confused on how to show the power consumption in game, Msi afterburner for me does not have a check box to show Rivaturner on monitor display if that makes sense, As far as GPU-Z goes I’m not sure why the power consumption is a “%” when it use to say “W” for Watts so idk how to tell how much power my 3090 ti is consuming…but other than that the card works great, i mainly game on a 4k monitor, for example I’ve been playin MW2 on high/ultra 4k and have had no issues…except when MW2 campaign would crash on my 3080 because of the current Drivers Nvidia has out, I had to rollback and use driver version 516.59

HWinfo, you need to run it and choose the "Sensors only" option and uncheck the "summary" option. Then, start HWinfo, then run your game for a bit. When you notice the smell happening (And of course, THOROUGHLY check your 12vhpwr 16 pin connector FIRST to make sure there are no signs of melting or deformity before you do anything else. Like, right now.) then stop the game, bring HWinfo back on top and check the sensor values below your graphics card. There will be current, minimum and maximum values for each sensor, and we are only concerned with the maximum temperature values for GPU temperature and Hotspot temperature. While you are at it, it wouldn't hurt to also take a look at the minimum values that are shown for the system 12v, 5v and 3v power supply rails in there as well. Just to be sure there are no power issues, which is not super likely since that is a pretty good power supply model, but you never know.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
HWinfo, you need to run it and choose the "Sensors only" option and uncheck the "summary" option. Then, start HWinfo, then run your game for a bit. When you notice the smell happening (And of course, THOROUGHLY check your 12vhpwr 16 pin connector FIRST to make sure there are no signs of melting or deformity before you do anything else. Like, right now.) then stop the game, bring HWinfo back on top and check the sensor values below your graphics card. There will be current, minimum and maximum values for each sensor, and we are only concerned with the maximum temperature values for GPU temperature and Hotspot temperature. While you are at it, it wouldn't hurt to also take a look at the minimum values that are shown for the system 12v, 5v and 3v power supply rails in there as well. Just to be sure there are no power issues, which is not super likely since that is a pretty good power supply model, but you never know.
I guess whatever smell I smelt is gone but I played MW2 for 20mins on ultra and the highest it peaked was 395.158W . On Dying Light 2 Ultra with ray tracing its highest peak in power consumption was 461.654W. Cyberpunk 2077 ultra/ ray tracing was 425.03 W but all in all seemed fine. The vga cords seem fine. All of what you’ve mentioned seems good, don’t get me wrong I absolutely want to get a 1200w 80 plus platinum psu and a bigger case. Seeing the highest peak in Cyberpunk being (425w) is a bit scary but thats with ray tracing, that I don’t use and will never use. But i thank you for all info and how to use the two software I was having trouble with.