Z32EdyZ.jpg
Hello ,

I got msi rtx 3090 ventus the temps
1-Rage 2 76c
2-Cyberpunk 76-77c
3-A plague tale 77c
4- COD wazone 79-82c
5-The Medium 80-81c
all the games are on 4k , I'm concerned about those games on 80c+ as the card when it reach 81 the fans start spinning harder and it goes back 80 and it goes on like that , I got asus helios case 3 140mm front intake , 2 140mm top intake , 1 140mm back exhaust
The PSU fan are inside case cuz if I flip it the monitor on it will not shown idk if that will cause heat issue to the gpu , before this card I got msi 1080 gaming x in same setup it never goes beyond 74 at worse case average was 72. sorry for the bad english if it's not clear

Solution
Before when I had the 1080 it was flipped the problem is at that time it make the cpu hotter like 7-10 degree more hotter than now, I'll try it today and see , so it seems it's airflow issue?
1)Well, your ol' 1080 also:
-didn't have 24GBs of GDDR6X Vram, which has higher operating thermals than the 8GBs of GDDR5.
-wasn't anywhere near the same level of power draw/heat load either.

2)It's a poison pill just about everyone has to swallow: Do you prioritize cpu thermals at the cost of gpu? Or do you do vice versa?
It's going to go one way or the other - can't have both.
The cooling tradeoff/penalty is usually minor, but in this situation, there's a 3090 in here...

For the cpu: if you wanted to prioritize its cooling, you should...

BoJassem

Honorable
May 9, 2015
Flip the top fans, please.
That top intake is working against the gpu that's dumping its heat inside the chassis. You effectively only have a single exhaust at the moment.

Before when I had the 1080 it was flipped the problem is at that time it make the cpu hotter like 7-10 degree more hotter than now, I'll try it today and see , so it seems it's airflow issue?

Looking at that picture apart from the air from the psu there is very little air being directed into the area under the gpu and that area is where the gpu takes in fresh air. My case allows for fans on the bottom that can be setup with minimal obstruction of airflow to the underside of the gpu. Adding fans to the bottom of my case reduced temps on my 3080 by about 4c.

BoJassem

Honorable
May 9, 2015
Looking at that picture apart from the air from the psu there is very little air being directed into the area under the gpu and that area is where the gpu takes in fresh air. My case allows for fans on the bottom that can be setup with minimal obstruction of airflow to the underside of the gpu. Adding fans to the bottom of my case reduced temps on my 3080 by about 4c.
Unfortunately the case I got can't add any case in the bottom , and from youtube no gpu heat issue , today I'll try to flip the top fans and I'll try to switch them off.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-didn't have 24GBs of GDDR6X Vram, which has higher operating thermals than the 8GBs of GDDR5.

2)It's a poison pill just about everyone has to swallow: Do you prioritize cpu thermals at the cost of gpu? Or do you do vice versa?
The cooling tradeoff/penalty is usually minor, but in this situation, there's a 3090 in here...

For the cpu: if you wanted to prioritize its cooling, you should do away with the top fans entirely.
It's fan already draws air from the front and top. With the top intake, you've got air coming from the front being pushed down and away from the cooler, as well as interfering with the flow of exhaust off the back of the cooler.
The folded sides of the Noctua cooler also work against it. This design promotes more front to back airflow, but reduces the effect of top intakes placed above it.
This is less efficient than having no fans up there.
If you did rear exhaust and a single top exhaust, that's also less effective than just having the one in the back.

For the gpu: with a card that dumps its waste heat in the chassis, you need more exhaust to get that out effectively. So, rear and top exhaust.
Top intake air running into gpu exhaust, you're causing it to take longer to get the heat out of the chassis = less efficient cooling setup.
Blower/Turbo gpu: doesn't dump its heat in the chassis.
Hybrid gpu: a well designed hybrid won't signfiicantly heat up the inside even if the radiator were positioned to front intake.
Custom liquid: same deal with hybrid... sort of.
Top intake isn't so bad with the above, but your gpu isn't any of those.

Reactions: BoJassem
Solution

BoJassem

Honorable
May 9, 2015

For the cpu: if you wanted to prioritize its cooling, you should do away with the top fans entirely.
It's fan already draws air from the front and top. With the top intake, you've got air coming from the front being pushed down and away from the cooler, as well as interfering with the flow of exhaust off the back of the cooler.
The folded sides of the Noctua cooler also work against it. This design promotes more front to back airflow, but reduces the effect of top intakes placed above it.
This is less efficient than having no fans up there.
If you did rear exhaust and a single top exhaust, that's also less effective than just having the one in the back.

For the gpu: with a card that dumps its waste heat in the chassis, you need more exhaust to get that out effectively. So, rear and top exhaust.
Top intake air running into gpu exhaust, you're causing it to take longer to get the heat out of the chassis = less efficient cooling setup.
Blower/Turbo gpu: doesn't dump its heat in the chassis.
Hybrid gpu: a well designed hybrid won't signfiicantly heat up the inside even if the radiator were positioned to front intake.
Custom liquid: same deal with hybrid... sort of.
Top intake isn't so bad with the above, but your gpu isn't any of those.

thnx for the explaining , when turned off the top fans it reduces the temp 1c only , if top are exhaust the cpu temp increased by 7-10 degree , I did everything all same , when I take out the gpu and Install it again everything changed , all tested game don't be above 77c!!! I guess 77c is fine or I am wrong? , I even flip 1 of the top left to exhaust

BoJassem

Honorable
May 9, 2015
Even the low 80s is fine for a card like that. 85+, not so much.

What, was one of the gpu fans not working or something before you took it out?
No , all was same I still don't understand it just toke it off then install back then nothing go more than 77c until now all seems fine it's been 2+ hour gaming , still thnx

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It had to be the anti-sag handle. It's the only other thing in there that makes sense, considering you simply took it out and put it back in.
When those brackets/handles are set too high or too tight, they can actually cause the heatsink to shift and lose contact with parts of the gpu.
You must've loosened the handle a little when removing/installing the gpu.

BoJassem

Honorable
May 9, 2015
It had to be the anti-sag handle. It's the only other thing in there that makes sense, considering you simply took it out and put it back in.
When those brackets/handles are set too high or too tight, they can actually cause the heatsink to shift and lose contact with parts of the gpu.
You must've loosened the handle a little when removing/installing the gpu.
what?? sure I moved it out the handle thing before tooke out the gpu but I mean that small thing can cause this kind of problem!! how weird