[SOLVED] MSI RX 580 Armor OC abnormally high fan speeds

ronizu

Honorable
Sep 10, 2017
Let me start this off by saying that I haven't been able to find any information on whether this is normal or not.

But anyway, I've had my MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC for about nine months now. I hadn't done much benchmarking et cetera with it in the past few months but last weekend I ran Furmark on it to check the max temps. But running it I noticed something really odd, Furmark reported my fan speeds as high as 115%. Once I saw that I opened MSI Afterburner and saw that according to afterburner they were at 80%. I manually set them to 100% in Afterburner and was surprised. The fans were louder than I remember them ever being (though I very rarely play games that heat the GPU up enough to really turn the fans up) and Furmark reported the speeds as 130+%. They were running at nearly 4800RPM, which is again, more than I ever remember seeing. I tried googling what is the max RPM for that exact model's fans but couldn't find official information anywhere. Should I be worried?

Solution
If you bought it used it may explain it, since someone could have flashed a custom BIOS on an RX 480 (From an RX 580) to get better performance and sold it as such. Usually from my experience of using one of these, the fan gets ridiculously loud, due to them being 2 diffrent cards. If you bought it new, I have no Idea. Maybe the thermal paste is getting old and needs replacement. Thus explaining the high RPMs.
Aug 8, 2019
If you bought it used it may explain it, since someone could have flashed a custom BIOS on an RX 480 (From an RX 580) to get better performance and sold it as such. Usually from my experience of using one of these, the fan gets ridiculously loud, due to them being 2 diffrent cards. If you bought it new, I have no Idea. Maybe the thermal paste is getting old and needs replacement. Thus explaining the high RPMs.

Solution

ronizu

Honorable
Sep 10, 2017
I bought the card new about 9 months ago. Are the fans smart enough to allow previously impossible fan speeds when the thermal paste is old? I mean, I could swear that half a year ago manually setting my fans to 100% meant they got up to around 3500RPM instead of 4800.